Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Settings reset on every reboot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bguenther

bguenther

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hi,

I just registered here but i am not exactly new. I have come here often looking for help and have found it so Thanks!

Now i have a new problem that i have not found a solution for and hope to get one here.

My problem is when i make a change in windows and after restarting the computer my changes are lost.
I have a cnc controller with windows 98se on it. (i have an internet connection)

I found the problem when i wanted to turn on file sharing. I turned it on and it told me i had to reboot and i did and then when windows was loaded file sharing was still turned off.
Then i tried changing the workgroup name because it was different from my other computers on the network and that did the same thing, once rebooted the workgroup name was back to the name it was originally.
I also change the default page to be loaded to www.google.ca in internet options and that also was restored to the original value.

If i make a file like test.txt it stays when rebooting.

I have replaced the cmos battery.

Where do i start?
I am not very familiar with windows 98.

Please help if you can.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by bguenther, 22 January 2013 - 11:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kltsin

kltsin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:46 AM

Have you resolved this yet, its been a many days since and no replies or feedback?

Is there any chance you have security programs watching over your settings, many stop any editing of these settings?

Also msconfig was used way too much back in the day instead of properly configuring the system, make sure it is starting with all of the normal parameters (it may be using a default or original if something is "off") , once that is done use it to reboot in safe mode and try editing both items that have changed and reboot in safe mode again to see if they stuck.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Welcome to BP.

I can't really help you with this one as I never bothered with Network file sharing on Win98SE or WinME as I could never find a suitable WiFi card.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Are there any group policies applied to the computer that prevent changes to the computer?

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users