Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I merge separate partitions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 barrythegreek

barrythegreek

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Hi, I have included a screen shot of my laptop drive. The C drive is nearly full but I have plenty of space on D . However when I shrink D the available space is after D. How can I extend C given this?
TIA

Attached Files

• Attached File  Disc.JPG   29.68KB   7 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

If the D: drive is empty then the process is easy. Just remove it and extend the C: partition.

One way would be to backup the D: first then remove it and extend.

That seems to me to be the safest way, However there are also utilities like this example.

How to merge partitions for more space with partition software?

using EaseUS Partition Master. While EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition is the first free partition software which provides merge partition function for Windows home users to merge two partitions for free under Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7/8.

Note: I've never tried EaseUS Partition Master.
, I have used their drive backup software in the past and it worked fine.
And I consider it risky as is any operation affecting the partions.
I recommend a Complete backup of the entire drive first as a precaution before any method.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 22 January 2013 - 11:20 AM.
Grammar

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 barrythegreek

barrythegreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Thanks rotor123, I've moved everything from D to an external drive then I select the C drive in disc management then right click the extend volume is greyed out. What am I doing wrong?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

In Disk management, right click on the D: and the remove it. Once the space is unallocated to a drive letter, Then you should be able to extend into it. It doesn't matter whether or not the D: is empty or full windows still looks at it as used space until it is removed.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 barrythegreek

barrythegreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thanks Roger, job done

#6 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

I also try the way Roger told, luckily, it works. Thank for all your guys. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users