Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell not booting into BIOS after ATA secure erase

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fish123

fish123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 660 that I'm looking to sell soon. So I wanted to remove my private data first, and I decided to go with the ata secure erase because I'd read that it's faster and more secure than just overwriting the disk with dban. My hard drive is 2 TB and the secure erase only took about 3.5 hours. I used hdparm on a live ubuntu USB to initiate the erase.
I followed the instructions I found at https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

Once I tried to reboot the computer, it just hangs on the dell logo splash screen. I can't enter the bios or even use F12 to boot from a USB.
I think I bit off a bit more than I could chew here and messed with stuff I don't understand very well. Could anyone tell me what might have happened that I can't boot? I could see how hdparm might damage the hd I was messing with, but how could it make the computer unbootable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Hi Fish123

Have you confirmed that the hard drive is causing the problem by disconnecting it and then successfully entering the BIOS settings screens?

When you did the secure erase, did it finish normally and show that the password had been removed?

James

#3 fish123

fish123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the reply. I disconnected the harddrive, and now I can boot into the BIOS settings, so I guess the drive was damaged somehow. Is it normal for a bad harddrive to render a computer completely unbootable? I'm not that savy about computer hardware, sorry.

I did use "hdparm -I /dev/sda" to verify that the drive was unlocked after the secure erase, so I'm not sure what went wrong. I'm glad it's only the drive, since that can be easily replaced. Is there anything I can try to fix it though?

Thanks for the reply. I disconnected the harddrive, and now I can boot into the BIOS settings, so I guess the drive was damaged somehow. Is it normal for a bad harddrive to render a computer completely unbootable? I'm not that savy about computer hardware, sorry.

I did use "hdparm -I /dev/sda" to verify that the drive was unlocked after the secure erase, so I'm not sure what went wrong. I'm glad it's only the drive, since that can be easily replaced. Is there anything I can try to fix it though?

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Hi

The safest and easiest way to test it is to get a SATA to USB bridge so that you can connect it externally to USB. They are pretty cheap.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users