Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator Account

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Greetings and salutations to all at BC. I have come to this forum to resolve a question as I have received excellent advice in the past. I am by no means a computer whiz and am a relative newcomer to BC. My OS is Win 7x64 IE9 and my questions concerns administrator account versus standard user account. I've read tutorials concerning this subject and have come to you for your highly regarded advice. I web surf and check email as well as other functions using my Administrator account as opposed to a standard user account. I think I've have all the protection in place with MSE as my stand-alone and in the toolbox MBAM,SAS and SpywareBlaster. That being said, should I change my current administrator account to a standard user account and create a new administrator account only for the express purpose to allow changes. Any response and/or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. And BTW, want to take this opportunity to thank all who are involved in creating this forum as you are a blessing to all of us, especially novices.

Best regards... :clapping:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

I suppose that would be added level of security - in my opinion a very small one - Your computer would ask you for the administrator account password before installing software and doing actions that have a larger impact on your system - so it is a step that might make you think a little more before you run something.

It does not replace common sense or good backups.

I would probably say try it and see what you think, if you like it use it but if you find yourself logging into the admin account just to save you the hassle then you'll have your answer and you can delete the regular user.

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for your input Angry Raisin. My thoughts are similar to what you've expressed. Will keep status quo.

Regards....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users