Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternative to efiction

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

Hi. I found efiction which is an open source program which allows you to create a writers site. You can have members who can upload, chapters to stories, messaging system and basically what you need for a writers site. It's pretty much what I was looking for but there's a few things I'd prefer to be different and I don't think I could change them. So are there any other programs like efiction?

So long as it's free I'm not bothered whether it's a program by itself or an add on to something else such as Wordpress or Joomla etc.

I don't mind if I have to use a few different software programs together either so long as in the end it's a writers site like you can do with efiction.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

I doubt you will find too many people that know anything about software for creating a site for writers. You are likely never going to find anything that does specifically what you want, so you are either going to have to live with what you get, or figure out how to change it. If you can think about exactly what features you want, maybe others can help you figure out how to provide those features.

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

I doubt you will find too many people that know anything about software for creating a site for writers. You are likely never going to find anything that does specifically what you want, so you are either going to have to live with what you get, or figure out how to change it. If you can think about exactly what features you want, maybe others can help you figure out how to provide those features.

Well I figured this was one of the best places to find someone who might know about it.

I want all the features efiction has, it's the design/layout I don't like and I don't think it is possible to change that. I basically want a site like fictionpress.com. I want members to be able to post content to the site, be able to have chapters, for them to be able to follow/favourite other members, subscribe to content, message each other, have summaries for the content, a rating for the content (e.g. U, 12+ etc), comments on content, possibly ratings for the content (e.g. likes or star ratings), be able to edit/delete content.

I can do a large amount on Wordpress, but I can't find a plugin for frontend user posting that works right and I can't have chapters.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

It sounds like you want a wiki/forum software.

All of those features are standard in content management systems, just not necessarily all together. I don't know any software that will accomplish everything that you want. Since Wordpress is already doing almost everything that you want, you will need to figure out how to alter it to do what you want, or pay someone to do it.

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

It sounds like you want a wiki/forum software.

All of those features are standard in content management systems, just not necessarily all together. I don't know any software that will accomplish everything that you want. Since Wordpress is already doing almost everything that you want, you will need to figure out how to alter it to do what you want, or pay someone to do it.

Maybe. I'm sure the other things I want are in Wordpress somewhere, but I haven't yet found them and the Wordpress forums are useless when it comes to the frontend user posting which is really my main problem.

I found one plugin that is technically for comics but allows text and has chapters, but that's all done in the backend and only by the admin. I found another plugin that has frontend user posting, but only the basics (no summary) and that doesn't allow for chapters. I need a combination of the two...

#6 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Have your tried Googling being able to post from the front end? - Google results.

There are heaps, even with walk throughs on creating your own "plugin" (which you could probably learn enough to be able to customise it to do what you need to).

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#7 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

Have your tried Googling being able to post from the front end? - Google results.

There are heaps, even with walk throughs on creating your own "plugin" (which you could probably learn enough to be able to customise it to do what you need to).

Yes. I'm using WP user frontend which is the first result, but I've looked through a number of sites.

I don't really want to mess with the coding that much if I can help it, but thanks for the link. I'll look at the tutorial in more detail later on if I can't find any existing software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users