Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using port Triggering for QOS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 techproblem

techproblem

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

I have an older NetGear router that I would like to continue using, but two other users on my network refuse to share the bandwidth. When you look through the menu in the router there is no option for QoS (Quality of Service) or assigning packet priority. Would I be able to use port triggering to produce the same effect as the QoS? If so, would using this feature still provide me with the protection of the firewall? I want to make sure that I am not opening myself up to any security issues.

As far a I can tell Port Triggering only activates when data is sent outbound and speeds up all incoming packets. Would this provide my computer with priority over packets for my internet connection as a whole? I do not want to produce a server or run dedicated ports for gaming. My only goal is to maintain web surfing and video streaming capabilities while the two other computers run games and cannot affect me.

Should I allocate all available ports for Port Triggering? Any help setting up would be most appreciated. I would like the other two computers to have full internet access and only slow down for as long as it takes to load a web page or youtube video so that I can actually get some work done. A new router while preferable would only alert the other people that I am trying to use bandwidth. Unfortunately, my household revolves around gaming and my school work as well as surfing the web does not take precedence.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: Moved topic from Mac OS to the more appropriate forum, at the suggestion of staff. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techproblem

techproblem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Is any familiar with this topic?

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

Yes, what model number router do you have?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 techproblem

techproblem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

Thank you for responding it is model rp614v4.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/RP614v4/default.htm

Tekken

#6 techproblem

techproblem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:24 AM

I would prefer to do it without the use of a paid program.

I would also like to find out if there is a way to figure out if someone went on my computer and used throttle in terminal. If they did how do I go about restoring my computer to normal.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

I would prefer to do it without the use of a paid program.

I should have mentioned that was just an ad that you can actually close out.

Tekken

#8 techproblem

techproblem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

That guide was just the basic how to for port forwarding. What port should I use for a triggering port? The router says to use anything other than port 80.

I tested port triggering using port 50 for triggering and opening ports 7- 16080. My computers internet worked flawlessly, but when I tested the one other other two computers on the network the internet was barely working and it notified me that another computer was using its ip address. How do I go about fixing both of these issues?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users