Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new printer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sherrymyra

sherrymyra

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

I need a new printer. Do I need to do anything to install with HP computer with Windows 8 or just hook it up and it works. I'v been reading up and I have read a couple of different things. Some say hook it up and the computer will look for drivers and then I also read that you need to find drivers. I am thinking of getting an HP printer. Not sure which model.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Hi, When You buy the Printer make sure it comes with the drivers for Windows 8 on CD and follow the instructions.

Many HP printers part of the directions for installation are to run the software and plug in the printer when the software tells you to and not before.

That is why I suggest to read the install direction first.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 sherrymyra

sherrymyra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

I have been looking on BestBuy.com at printers and there is not one there that lists windows 8 as compatible. I'm assuming then the cd will not have drivers for windows 8. Windows 7 drivers may work?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hi, What you can do is check www.hp.com and see if they have drivers for Windows 8 Download. When You go to that page You will see a Link for "Support & Drivers", THat is where You go to search.

I would expect that the current models, That show under products on their Website, will all have Drivers available for Windows 8 that way. It doesn't hurt to check and make sure however.

As an Example this one, HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a shows as $149.99 on the HP site.
Supports from Windows XP thru Windows 8.

HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a
(CM749A)

Base product
Duplex printing (printing on both sides of paper): Automatic (standard)
Standard (built-in Ethernet, WiFi 802.11b/g/n)
Print, copy, scan, fax, Web
1 USB 2.0; 1 Host USB; 1 Ethernet; 1 Wireless 802.11b/g/n; 2 RJ-11 modem ports; memory card slots
Sheetfed
One-year limited hardware warranty, 24-hour, 7 days a week Web support, business hour phone support within warranty period

I'm only using this as an example and not a recommendation.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 22 January 2013 - 08:57 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 loveroftexas

loveroftexas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:12 AM

My suggestion:  Don't buy HP.   I have owned 15 HPs in the last 10 years and will never buy another.   They are building technology into their ink that forces you to buy HP ink only--no refills.   My purchase of an HP 8600 in August of 2013 has now confirmed that to me.  I have the dreaded "ink cartridge failure or printer failure".  I am fairly experienced at working through problems and this is one I cannot fix so my HP is going into the trash can and I am going to buy my first Brother printer.  The repair shop starts at $45 and does not guarantee they can fix it without a new printhead.  Check out the price of a new printhead. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users