Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Connection Keeps Dropping

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 computingelite

computingelite

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:31 AM

Hi all,

I'm at my wit's end with this one. I've got a laptop and a PC and can connect to the wireless network with the laptop and the connection is stable. However, if I plug the usb adapter in my PC the connection drops after a few seconds. It's not a signal issue as I'm sat right next to my PC now, with the laptop. I've got the same firewall installed on both machines etc. and the network properties are the same. Anyone any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

Lots of people seem to have problems with USB/wireless adaptors. I haven't read an explanation for this yet, the solution seems to be replace it with an internal PCI wireless card.

If you want a more specific examination of your problem give some details (make and model plus any configuration settings, signal strength, etc.) of the USB, desktop, router and laptop.

Edited by Rimmer, 29 March 2006 - 06:23 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

You could delete your USB bus from the Device Manager and let Windows re-install at boot. This may clear up marginal issues with your USB, that Windows may not be detecting.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 computingelite

computingelite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:45 AM

I've formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows on the PC. The connection still drops. Yet it is still fine when I use the USB adapter on the laptop.

My PC is an Abit IC7 Max 3 @ 2.8 Ghz (not overclocked) - the bios is at default settings. I'm using a WDC hdd for now. The USB adapter is an Edimax USB 2.0 on the ZD1211 Chipset.

I'm running XP Corp on the PC and XP Pro on the laptop, but I don't think that should make a difference. They're both running service pack 2. They were both installed the same way as well.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:48 AM

You may have a faulty USB port/chipset on that computer. I am sure there is diagnostic software to test it just like testing a serial or parrelell port, but I do not know what it would be. May be on of the members wwho s a professional PC tech could respond. Or you could buy an after market addon USB card. Personally I do not like or trust USB. PCI for desktops or PCIMICA for noteboks is a better solution.

#6 computingelite

computingelite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:00 AM

You may have a faulty USB port/chipset on that computer. I am sure there is diagnostic software to test it just like testing a serial or parrelell port, but I do not know what it would be. May be on of the members wwho s a professional PC tech could respond. Or you could buy an after market addon USB card. Personally I do not like or trust USB. PCI for desktops or PCIMICA for noteboks is a better solution.

The thought had crossed my mind but I have a mouse and keyboard plugged into my USB ports and they run fine, as does anything else I plug into it (printer/webcam/phone etc.)

But you're absolutely right, I'm beginning to understand the perils of USB, I think I may have to invest in a Wireless PCI Card.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:24 AM

The thought had crossed my mind but I have a mouse and keyboard plugged into my USB ports and they run fine, as does anything else I plug into it (printer/webcam/phone etc.)

But you're absolutely right, I'm beginning to understand the perils of USB, I think I may have to invest in a Wireless PCI Card.

There are two types of USB devices. Powered and unpowered. The power load on the NIC may such that it stops working until it is reset. If you have a powered USB hub you may want ot plug into it to see it it makes a difference. The USB hub may have a more stable power source. If you have to purchase one I would rather see you purcase a PCI NIC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users