Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Linux Puppy and Installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 veggiebin

veggiebin

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

I need some assistance setting up a used computer that a friend gave me. I thought I would be able to put the xp disc in and just start it up, but it had Linux Puppy installed on it and it was bypassing the cd rom. I have never been exposed to this os, and it confused me for a while. Reading some other blogs people were saying that you had to manually delete the files. So, I did that and now I am getting a couple of errors while rebooting.

Press any key to boot from CD..... (This never seems to work)
Try (hd0, 0): Ext2: No grldr
Try (hd0, 1): invalid or null
Try (hd0: 2): invalid or null
Try (hd0: 3): invalid or null
BIOS: Drive =0x0, H=0, S=0

Try (fd0): invalid or null
Cannot find grldr
Press space bar to hold the screen, any other key to boot previous MBR... (None of these seem to do anything)
Timeout: Error loading operating system

I remember deleting the grldr, so not sure if I should have or not.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hi veggiebin,

I would first of all check the boot order in your BIOS. Linux Puppy can not make your PC bypass the CD, it is more likely that the boot order is set to boot from the hard drive before trying the PC.

EDIT: just saw that I overlooekd the "press any key to boot from CD"
Do you use a USB or a wireless keyboard? In that case the problem may be that your keyboard is not recognised and therefore the "press key" doesn't work. Could you try a different keyboard?

regards myrti

Edited by myrti, 22 January 2013 - 07:28 AM.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 veggiebin

veggiebin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Thanks myrti!

I used my other keyboard and it is working. I would have never known that would be the case, although it was frustrating that it would not respond. The F2 and F12 keys were working, along with the arrow keys, so i didn't think it would be the keyboard. I had already played with the setup menu quite a bit and had the disk drive selected as the boot drive.

When I got it to run setup, it showed a partition that I removed. I wasn't sure I should, with all the warnings it gave, but I wanted to make sure that the system is clean and that the other os was indeed gone, so I deleted it.

It is now formatting for setup, so I hope I don't have anymore problems.

Thanks again! If I have any other difficulties I will let you know :)

Tara

#4 veggiebin

veggiebin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Thanks myrti!

I used my other keyboard and it is working. I would have never known that would be the case, although it was frustrating that it would not respond. The F2 and F12 keys were working, along with the arrow keys, so i didn't think it would be the keyboard. I had already played with the setup menu quite a bit and had the disk drive selected as the boot drive.

When I got it to run setup, it showed a partition that I removed. I wasn't sure I should, with all the warnings it gave, but I wanted to make sure that the system is clean and that the other os was indeed gone, so I deleted it.

It is now formatting for setup, so I hope I don't have anymore problems.

Thanks again! If I have any other difficulties I will let you know :)

Tara

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Hi,

I'm glad that worked. :) Let us know if you need anymore help.

regards myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#6 veggiebin

veggiebin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Myrti -

Not sure if I should reply back here or not - I might be able to find the answer somewhere else - but I figured you might be able to answer quicker :)

I installed xp and then upgraded to professional and now my screen is all blurry and the fonts and menus are really big. Is there a simple way to fix this? I know I've run across it before, and thought it was a simple fix, but can't figure it out now.

Thanks for your help!

Tara

#7 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Hi Tara,

have you tried changing the resolution of your screen?

For this to work you may need to install the drivers for your graphics card ( and it would also be a good idea to install other drivers, such as sound and so forth as available). Usually the company selling the PC will have the necessary drivers on their website. What is the name and make of your PC?

regards myrti

#8 veggiebin

veggiebin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

It is a dell optiplex gx260. I have no idea what vg card is in it - or anything else for that matter. How do you go about figuring that out?

I have tried to change the resolution, but the properties box is not available to click on. It is set on the lowest resolution (640x480 pixels, lowest 4 bit) and is not able to move or change. The monitor type is set to default, but I can't click on the properties button.

When I go into the device manager these devices are yellow question marks: Ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller and video controller. I am setting this computer up as a second one for the household. Would like to have Internet but need to figure out how to use the remote feature on my modem, at some point would like to have audio (but I currently don't have a set of speakers to hook up), but really need the screen to work :)

I can download files from my other computer and transfer them to this one via a flash drive to help get it going.

Thanks again for your help with this!

Tara

#9 veggiebin

veggiebin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

So it is actually a gx280, not gx260. I went to the dell website and found a bunch if drivers that are supposed to be installed after putting windows on the computer. So I am following their recommendations as to the order of installation starting with the desktop system software. But the one I downloaded will not run on the computer I am trying to setup, stating "setup cannot run on this machine". So I will try the other version, although I think it is not the desktop system setup. Not sure what to do next...

#10 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Hi,

this may happen if you do not install the same OS that was installed previously on the machine. Though there seem to be drivers for Windwos XP. Did you make sure to download the XP ones, not the Vista ones?

Have a look here: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/Product/optiplex-gx280

The analyze system for updates, should hopefully point you to the right drivers. (it may not though, in case it doesn't look for missing drivers but only for installed outdated drivers.)

regards myrti

Edited by myrti, 22 January 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#11 veggiebin

veggiebin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Myrti -

I am sure that I used the xp download. Remember, this machine has linux puppy on it before. Does that matter?

I don't think I can use the analyze system tool, since it is not currently online. Correct?

I will download again, just to make sure, but I'm pretty positive...

Tara

#12 veggiebin

veggiebin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Ok, feel really stupid right now. It IS a gx260, not gx280 which makes a big difference. Sorry about that. The lighting is not the best and my computer looks like what dell has pictured as the 280, not the 260. But I found out they have two versions, one slimmer than mine.

Of course, all of this info is on the boot menu screen - which I have been in a million times over the last couple of days. Ugh! I do honestly apologize!

So I was able to install the first driver (not actually dss or NSA but dell-bios) - after changing the boot order back to include the hard drive :). The images are better, but I will continue to load the rest of the drivers to get everything into the computer.

Thank you for all your help and guidance!

Tara

#13 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hi,

as long as you're progressing, everything is good. :) Thanks for keeping us updated.

regards myrti

#14 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

every dell i ever owned including the 2 i have not have a sticker on them with a service tag number ,put that number in the box on here ,My link and it will take you to the correct drivers .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#15 veggiebin

veggiebin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, I found the service tag yesterday. Helped immensely! I thought that would have been something in the original paperwork, which I don't have.

Put service pack 3 on today - literally took all day to download that one!

I think that overall I've gotten everything sorted out except for the wireless hookup. Still struggling with that...

But, thanks for all the help - I really appreciate it!!!

Tara

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users