Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use 2 ethernet ports on 1 computer?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 qw3rty3

qw3rty3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I have a network with about a dozen computers connecting to a Win 7 computer acting as a server. The computer has 2 gigabit ethernet ports. Right now only one port is used, connected to a gigabit switch.

I've read a little about load balancing and nic teaming. But I was wondering if there would but any benefit to just plug both the ports into the switch, then point half the computers to one ip address, and the other half to the other.

Would this relieve some network congestion? Would it help with transfer speeds? Or would connecting to the one computer basically be the choke point no matter how many nics are used?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

What roll is the server performing? With 12 computers accessing the server it would be hard to bog down a gigabit network unless you were moving a tremendous amount of data between each computer. The congestion your experiencing is it Internet speeds? File transfers from the server to the workstations? what type of switch are you using?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users