Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer powers on but has black screen and does not boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cartong

cartong

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Recently my computer powers on but does not boot. The screen is black. The LED CAPS and NUMBER LOCK lights are flashing, slowly. When computer was working, the screen would go black after about an hour. Would have to restart computer because it wouldn't respond to a moving mouse or pressing enter key. The battery is not charging, had to leave it plugged in to wall.

I tried to see if it was a monitor problem by connecting the computer to a tv screen. The tv screen was still black. I tried taking out the memory chips. Tested them one by one, tried both and wouldn't respond. Tried cleaning it with the ultra duster, still nothing.

My computer is running Vista 32bit.
Its HP dv5-1002nr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Are you able to see the Bios screen? Are you using a video card or onboard video?
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

pulled this link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443366&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
on LED error codes
from this thread http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/Blinking-caps-and-num-lock-lights/td-p/29560

#4 cartong

cartong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

I'm not able to see the BIOS screen. I believe the ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics RS780M is onboard video. LEDs NUMBER/CAPS Lights blink about every 7 seconds which I think is once.

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

That sounds like once to me also (it wouldn't hurt to contact HP to verify)
one blink means CPU trouble (not good)
I am not sure if you are ok with this, but if it were ME, I would suspect that the CPU fan is not working and I would take it apart to verify.
Most equipment have a safeguard to prevent overheating (sometimes works, sometime doesn't). A signal saying there is no fan attached may prevent the machine from starting up.
When it would run for an hour and then quit I would say it was getting hot, so there is still the chance that the CPU is baked, but you may be lucky and a fan may get it to boot.
This is one theory, we invite others.

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

While looking for a "take apart" for your machine I came across this thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/dv5-1002nr-fix-for-black-screen-and-2-blinking-lights/td-p/213318

No firm answers but could be CPU or possibly CPU socket on motherboard (reflow of solder may work as some have had limited success with a hairdryer)
Anyway, you may want to read it.

#7 cartong

cartong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

When I turned on the computer, I noticed the fan wasn't spinning. Will look at the thread that you sent me to figure out my next move. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users