Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pulling Off Ethernet Cable From Computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:28 AM

I cannot access the router itself so can I safely unplug and plug in the ethernet cable from my computer any time I like, particularly when all is switched on?

Is this the only way I can be sure of being offline?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:24 AM

Pulling your ethernet cable from your computer will ensure that you are offline, and is the best way to make sure that your machine is NOT connected to the internet.

However, the down side to this is that if you have programs that "auto update" like your antivirus should, then it won't be able to update itself if you're not connected to the internet.

I'd suggest an alternative to unplugging your machine everytime you wish to dissconect from the net. Try downloading and installing "zone alarm". It's a fire wall that's completely free (although it gives you an option to buy a pro version, the free version will do you fine), and there's a button to "stop all internet activity". Basically, it will make it like your computer is not connected to the internet, and will not allow others into your computer, nor will it allow your computer to access the internet. It's much easier than reaching behind your computer and unplugging the ethernet cable.

You can download zone alarm from this site HERE, just be sure to get regular zone alarm, the free version.

Hope this helps!

Edited by stevealmighty, 29 March 2006 - 07:25 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:51 AM

I cannot access the router itself so can I safely unplug and plug in the ethernet cable from my computer any time I like, particularly when all is switched on?

Is this the only way I can be sure of being offline?

You are right to be concerned with your computer being plugged in 24/7. The best way would be layered protection for you connection. First simple turning your computer is enough to block access. If your layered security does not include the followig layers you are just at risk whenever your online.

Router NAT
Antivirus
Firewall (Better then Microsoft's)
Antispyware (As much as the resources of your computer will premit)
Common sence (What, from who, and how you allow data to enter your computer)
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for responses.

stevealmighty:

I have Zone Alarm but I cannot see any option to disconnect - how do I get to that option? Sounds like my salvation!
There is an option in O.E. to work offline but I don't think that really disconnects me form the internet - am I right?

Edited by zzzz, 30 March 2006 - 09:07 AM.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for responses.

stevealmighty:

I have Zone Alarm but I cannot see any option to disconnect - how do I get to that option? Sounds like my salvation!
There is an option in O.E. to work offline but I don't think that really disconnects me form the internet - am I right?

All firewalls have a setting to block everything. This option will stop all traffic to and from the internet. This would equate to unplugging the ethernet.

Edited by acklan, 30 March 2006 - 09:20 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:03 AM

On the top menu choice (Overview) you'll see a red Stop button right at the top of Zone Alarm. Hover your mouse over it and it will show "Shut off internet access immediately!" and the key combination Ctrl+S, which will work if Zone Alarm is the program in focus. (Highlighted window)

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

Yes thanks, that seems to work OK.

However altho I'm supposed to get email notification from my posts I didn't get one from you!! A glitch in the site?

Oh Herk, your post was not showing. I'll check out your option.

Right clicking on the ZA icon I get 'Stop all internet activity' , so that seems to do the trick.

Edited by zzzz, 30 March 2006 - 11:09 AM.

#8 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:36 AM

Oh NO! What a nightmare!

After shutting off interner activity etc. thru ZA it has taken me 50 min. of clicking around to get back online.
Restoring the internet activity did nothing to get me online.
Perhaps pulling the cable would be best but I'm too nervous to try it. Best to stay online and fight the viruses, hackers and trojans etc. I think.
Phew!
It seemed like 50 min!

Edited by zzzz, 30 March 2006 - 11:37 AM.

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

Hmmph. The manual says that clicking the Stop button again will re-enable access.

#10 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:50 AM

Thanks Herk -I'll pluck up courage and try that Stop button again after this session.

#11 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:33 AM

Well I clicked the Stop button to be offline, then clicked it again to re-connect - problem, could not.

It tried to find my opening page as indicated in the 'loading' bar at the bottom of screen(status bar?) which changed to Open page res://C: WINDOWS\system32\shdock.dll/dnserror.htm

Then a window appeared : 'I.E. has encountered a problem with an add-on and needs to close'.

Then to look at this I found the window: The add-on running was EScamBlk.dll; Company name EarthLink ...

I do(did) have this as a link which must have been making the problem - why it should do so I don't know. So going into Add/Remove I removed it and thern could get back online again.

That EarthLink was downloaded ages ago and I can't remember what is is for altho scamblocking is one of its features - I wonder if it is effective?
Any thoughts on all this please?

Edited by zzzz, 31 March 2006 - 09:34 AM.

#12 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:49 AM

Herk - Yesterday, and I found also today that if I disconnect from the internet by using the ZA icon and to reconnect click again, this does not of itself work. I have to click on the 'repair internet connection' from my connection icon to reconnect.
Do you know what is put into disrepair using this option?

#13 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:31 PM

Another option is to right-click the icon in the tray and "engage internet lock." That won't stop known programs, so you won't be able to stop all activity. Maybe pulling the ethernet cable from the computer is the best option for you. I do it all the time with computers I'm working on, and when I reconnect the cable (on XP, not 98) it reconnects to the internet. Win 95/98*Grinler needs to be restarted to reconnect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users