Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: New Computer or Not?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Template is below.

I am wondering if I need a new computer. Mine is an HP Pavillion dv5 PC. It's about 4 or 5 years old. I use Vista Home. I have an Intel process P8400 @ 2.2GHz. I have 4 GB of memory. Have things improved such that my system is really outdated? If I buy a new PC my template is below.

My budget for the new computer is:$1,000 +/-

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Web browsing, email, Word, Excel, some low memory games, storage.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Microsoft Office, web browser, Quickbooks

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Solitaire

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? A lot at once

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Yes. A lot of pictures and music.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

It's pretty much outdated but base from what i've read on the template, you could get a pretty solid laptop that fits your criteria quite easily.

Asus R500VD-RS71 - This laptop is probably an overkill considering it has an i7 processor but it will last for a long time at least 4 to 5 years. It has a large 750GB hard drive for your photos and music and it will easily run the office programs. With 8GB of ram, you can basically multi-task as you mentioned "A lot at once" in one of the template question.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 danieg-url

danieg-url

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Sure it's outdated, pretty much any computer is after a couple of years, but it sounds like it's still working fine for what you do with it so why spend the cash to buy a new one?

Maybe upgrade the RAM to max it out if you haven't already, that'll give you a bit more performance for running multiple applications at once and be a really cheap upgrade, I'm thinking less than $100. You should already be backing up your stuff so you probably already have your pics and music on an external hard drive.

Make a couple photo DVD's and store them at a few different family members places for absolutely redundant backup if they'll let you. I know it sounds totally paranoid but after my in-laws lost their entire family history in a fire I can tell you there's no such thing as "too paranoid" when it comes to precious photos. Anyway, once the DVD's are made and verified kick most of the photos off the computer. Upload them to private albums on Facebook, upload them to dropbox, box, sugarsync or whatever cloud storage platform you want and reclaim space for new stuff.

Then go stick that thousand bucks back in the bank and keep adding to it until you have about double. By that time the thing will probably be completely pissing you off. Then you'll be ready to get the real deal, the 15" macbook pro with retina display. I'll tell you, I'd rather limp along with an older laptop and then go mac than I would spend my money on a higher end windows machine. Yes, they're really expensive, no the specs don't look overwhelmingly impressive just on paper. But just go to an apple store or a Best Buy or something and mess around with one for about 30 minutes then go do the same thing with a $1,000 windows machine. Seriously, it's worth the time. Besides, hanging around in computer stores is fun.

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

So how do I add RAM?

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

The laptop itself already has 4GB of ram and adding more won't increase the performance and it won't be noticeable. A noticeable upgrade would be upgrading to a SSD which would make the it snappier. I'd also upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 for smoother operation.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

SSD means installing a new hard drive? That would help performance? Also, Windows 7 or 8 would be better than Vista?

Thanks.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Yes, basically installing a new drive and it would significantly increase performance. Yes, Windows 7 and 8 is a lot better then Vista.

>Michael 

#8 danieg-url

danieg-url

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

An SSD would epically increase your performance (think 20 second boot time), I love SSD's, but the drawback is price for storage volume. You mentioned that you store a lot of pictures and such, but a 500gb solid state drive is over $300. Upgrading windows isn't going to do appreciably squat, and you'd have to do some research to see if your machine is definitely windows 7 or 8 compatible, then shell out a bunch of cash for the software or deal with all the headaches a bootleg copy can give you. Yes, Vista sucked pretty hard, but IMHO while 7 was pretty good 8 is on its way to a level of suck only rivaled by Windows ME.

Just for curiosity sake, has the machine slowed down over time or was it always like this? If its just started to get slow why not go ahead, do a backup, make sure you've got all your software discs to reinstall then do a factory reset on the thing, reload your stuff, tweak out your settings and see how it does. Only thing you've spent then is time. It can't hurt to try It.

#9 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

That's good advice, danieg-url. Thanks. Now, just to find the time to implement it!

#10 rchi2hoquee

rchi2hoquee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

I hear a lot about the computer being absolete in 4 to 5 years, but I have another story and another view. I bought my COMPAQ laptop is 2002. It is old!!!!!, 11 years??   I am right now typing from it. It has an Intel/Celeron processor with 1.30 GHz 504 MB of ram. The only upgrade I have done is the MS software to 2010. Right now is when I have started feeling the slowness of the system. I think is because my grandson is in it, playing games. I use it for work. I teach MS software, e-mail, write letters, few pictures, facebook. Now I am looking for a new computer and I was considering an All in One for the practicality.

I wonder if it is possible or worth to upgrade the processor to make it go faster?

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

It's probably not worth upgrading considering how old it is and it can be really difficult for something that old. I suggest starting a new thread about purchasing a new computer in the "Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer" section :)

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users