Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor doesn't recognize graphic card anymore??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dmasterman

Dmasterman

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

The other day I had moved my room around to do a paint job. After it was all done the PC wouldn't boot up properly anymore. It seemed to be ticking "On and off" with the amber light going on and off (in a similar fashion if there was a RAM issue minus the loud beeping), before finally booting itself up. However... the monitor would not recognize the PC. As if there was a connection issue, bringing up the "No Signal" notice. I came to find out that if I were to directly plug my monitor into the PC's original monitor slot it will work, minus the use of my graphic cards.

I went into the device manager and my PC does indeed detect my Nvidia card, a NVIDIA GeForce GT 430. I tried to find out what was wrong with it, it was currently up to date, I tried taking it out and putting it back in, but the results were still the same. I did notice that if I left the graphic card out and booted the PC without it, it would not have that strange boot up effect as if there was a ram issue. So I decided to actually go back to my older Nvidia card a Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nForce 430. I booted it up and it booted normally without the strange "Ticking on and off" issue, but it also would would get no signal to the monitor. SO once again using the original port for the monitor I was able to detect the video card and update it. After updating it and restarting the computer, the SAME ticking on and off and non recognizance occurred!

Could this be an nvida drive update issue? Or is it just my PC not wanting to use Nvidia graphic cards??

thanks

specs:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3454 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, 1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 112205 MB;
Motherboard: ECS, Nettle2
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Or is it just my PC not wanting to use Nvidia graphic cards??

Sounds more like this is the problem based on your post :

It seemed to be ticking "On and off" with the amber light going on and off

I came to find out that if I were to directly plug my monitor into the PC's original monitor slot it will work, minus the use of my graphic cards.

Tekken

#3 Dmasterman

Dmasterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Or is it just my PC not wanting to use Nvidia graphic cards??

Sounds more like this is the problem based on your post :

It seemed to be ticking "On and off" with the amber light going on and off

I came to find out that if I were to directly plug my monitor into the PC's original monitor slot it will work, minus the use of my graphic cards.

so is there a solution or do I Just have to go buy another video card?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

If I were in your case, I would remove all instances of Nvidia drivers (excluding the onboard drivers for built-in video chipset) then clean the graphics card gold contacts with a white eraser. Check the slots for any probable dust also including other components. Sometimes a 'No Signal' would also be due to a bad RAM stick, please use one alternately to check on the difference. When everything is set, firmly seat the card, insert the cable on both ends and then make a clean install of your Nvidia drivers up to date version.

So I decided to actually go back to my older Nvidia card a Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nForce 430. I booted it up and it booted normally without the strange "Ticking on and off" issue, but it also would would get no signal to the monitor

It made me think twice on this part as it could be a RAM stick problem. :P

Tekken

#5 Dmasterman

Dmasterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

If I were in your case, I would remove all instances of Nvidia drivers (excluding the onboard drivers for built-in video chipset) then clean the graphics card gold contacts with a white eraser. Check the slots for any probable dust also including other components. Sometimes a 'No Signal' would also be due to a bad RAM stick, please use one alternately to check on the difference. When everything is set, firmly seat the card, insert the cable on both ends and then make a clean install of your Nvidia drivers up to date version.

So I decided to actually go back to my older Nvidia card a Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nForce 430. I booted it up and it booted normally without the strange "Ticking on and off" issue, but it also would would get no signal to the monitor

It made me think twice on this part as it could be a RAM stick problem. :P

I did all that.. result is still the same.

Mind you, should I actually remove the graphic card entirely there is no ticking noise and the boot up is normal, WITH the ram all still in. This is what makes me discount the ram.

Also if there is a ram issue why is it that I can directly connect the monitor to the Computer without any problems? Usually when I do have a ram issue I get a large beep and the thing won't start at all unless I add ram.

also if there were problems with the slots, why does device manager still read everything is in, both a video card and the ram slots?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

A no signal could either come also from a loose or bad ram (post#4) or a graphics card (post#2). Since you mentioned of moving and tinkering with some internal components such as a graphics card. Reseatting or removing CMOS battey would reset to reconfigure any hardware changes made. The only things you could try were as you mentioned already was to try another card and reinstall the driver itself.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users