Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photo Recognition

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 norwood781

norwood781

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

I know Picasa does it, a bit.

But I'm looking for a solution that will scan a directory of images and "pluck" out pictures containing people that I choose, or mark, or select or whatever the specifics of it would be.

Does anyone know of a solution for this...other than Picasa?

If Picasa can do it correctly, I'm fine with it...but I've been digging around and I can't get it to do it exactly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

You've probably googled the subject and found very little. In readily available software, those involved in social media seem to have the most useful software that is free. I assume that Facebook's face recognition software is good but not very practical for your task. Google have a lot of experience, starting with blurring of faces in Street View. Picasa is probably as good as any. If you have ever tried Google Image's drag and drop photo detection software, it's quite spectacular. Take an image you have that may be on the Internet, bad quality, cropped etc, drop it on the page and it will come up with any similar images out there. It's never failed for me.

It's quite alarming really. Employers have already taken to social media to ferret out the background of potential employees. Soon, that silly prank you posted on YouTube may be putting paid to your future applications. Add to that the criminal element and other malignants. Viewers of the TV series "Person of Interest" will be familiar with the potential. BTW face detection is not the same as face recognition. In face recognition, the identity of the person is the goal, eg it's Joe Smith. That would be Facebook's variant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users