Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

botched combofix

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mikelinsb

mikelinsb

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I was haveing sound and cd/dvd devices not being detected sporadicly, mostly not being detected. Nothing for these entries in device manager. So I ran combofix twice. The first time i closed all windows and turned of the antivirus but not the firewall. It found some stuff but i lost the log by running combofix again. This time I didnt turnoff the antivirus had some other windows open and resulted in a crash-blackscreen. The first time it ran it deleted about six things one I believe was a rootkit. Now I have multiple cascading c and d drives in my c:\ folder. Can I get the log file from the first run, and can i get rid of the cascading drives. can you tell if i wrecked my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

If you downloaded Combofix from this website, it should have made a new restore point before running. Have you tried to revert back to that?

You should also read this link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

Edited by jburd1800, 20 January 2013 - 09:06 PM.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 mikelinsb

mikelinsb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

i read that article after the fact. so i will not try that again. yes the combofix did create a restore point. i can run it. would that particular restore point be in microsoft system restore or would i have use the combofix program to run it? regarding the first run of combo fix i attemted it went well it found some bad problems about six of them is ther any way i could find that log and submitt it here for you to analyse? or should i start from scratch and open a new thread. also is it possible thar infections are causing my sound and cd/dvd devices to not be recognized?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

Please follow the instructions at Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html . Note that the forum reflecting the Prep Guide...is the forum where all requested malware logs should be posted. In addition to the logs requested, you can paste the contents of your ComboFix log into your post there.

Louis

#5 mikelinsb

mikelinsb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

so am i in the wrong forum? if so should i enter the forum you suggested with the original problem stated at the beginning of this thread or should i enter that forum having done a system restore as you suggested. is the reason that you didnt awnser some of my questions in my previos post because iam in the wrong forum?

#6 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Follow Hamluis in post # 4 as you previously ran Combofix. Having no idea where you downloaded Combofix, I was pointing out that from this site a restore point is created when it's run. If you follow the guide in post 4 this thread will follow you.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users