Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware Help Please

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hustlerinc28

hustlerinc28

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:27 AM

unusual case and i dont know if any one else has this and it is driving me crazy.. i ran my adaware 1.06 with the latest march 28 06 def and it makes my computer crashe due to system failure after i start the scan after about 6-10 seconds after finding two modules.. i used all my other scanners (Xoftse, spybot search, hijack this, registery mechanic and i run them all on full system and they worked fine.) i tried uninstalling and reinstalling adaware 1.06 with a def that is 308 days old from march 28 06 def (so it be like a jan 05 def) and it worked fine but didnt catch the modules that the latest def caught.. PLEASE HELP ME

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:34 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer!

Fully update Ad-aware. Boot into safe mode by hitting your F8 key and choosing 'safe mode' when prompted. Then run Ad-aware in safe mode for best results.

I do not recommend that you run High Jack This or Registry Mechanic unless you are an expert in the workings of the Windows Registry. It is simply too easy to mess up the registry, rendering your computer usless and requiring a time consuming, and for some people, a costly repair.

General info on the use of Ad-aware can be found HERE.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 29 March 2006 - 07:58 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:34 AM

Update your Adaware version to 1.06r1

Then get the latest definitions updates and run it from safe mode.

See if that cures your problem.

#4 hustlerinc28

hustlerinc28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

TO ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN AND ENTHUSIAST YOUR METHODS OF UPDATING TO LATEST ADAWARE AND LATEST DEF THEN GOING INTO SAFE MODE DID NOT WORK

HERE IS WHAT THE ERROR REPORT SAID

Files in Error Report:

C:\DOCUME~1\Warrior\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb761.dir00\winlogon.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Warrior\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb761.dir00\appcompat.txt

EventType: BEX
p1:winlogon.exe
p2:0.0.0.0
p3:00000000
p4:vtsqq.dll
p5:0.0.0.0
p6:44280f30
p7:00062f7f
p8:c0000005
p9:00000008

WHAT THE BLUE SCREEN SAID WAS:
stop: c000021a (fatal system error)
the windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status
of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000) the sysytem has been shut down

AN ALTERNATE METHOD OF DEALING WITH THIS PROBLEM WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:41 PM

We will look into it and get back with you. In the meantime please do not use all capital letters. It is very rude and distracting. It is equal to yelling.
May be this will be of some help.. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330303

Edited by acklan, 29 March 2006 - 06:44 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 hustlerinc28

hustlerinc28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

sorry bout the all capital letters.. but that fix is for windows 2000 and nt.. i have windows xp (media center) wouldnt their be a conflict of operating system fixes

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:43 PM

Sorry about that..

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823736

From everything I have gathered XP MC is similar to XP Home.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:47 PM

I've merged these two threads to maintain continuity on actions taken.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#9 hustlerinc28

hustlerinc28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

this did not work any other solutions

i ran adware again and quickly ended the scan and saw that one of the modules was virtumonde and then the computer suddenly shut down with the same specifics..

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

Well, it's time to see for sure whether this computer is clean or not. There is quite a bit of malware that will defeat efforts to remove it, including interfering with the installation, updating, and running of antivirus and antispyware programs.

I would like to refer you to the Highjack This (HJT) forum here at BleepingComputer.com:

First: Read the Preparation Guide found HERE. It is very important that you follow ALL of the instructions found within. (There are many important steps in this guide that may clean your computer.)

Second: Post your system information along with a brief description of the problems you are having, and your HJT log in the HJT forum found HERE.

NOTE: Please, after you post your HJT log DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait. It can sometimes take a few days for a response. If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a link to your HJT log HERE.

Third: If, after finishing your work with the folks at the HJT forum you have issues with XP related to the removal of the infection, then come back in here and let us help you get your computer back to normal.

You are in good hands! Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users