Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop shuts down randomly

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CyberSurfer409

CyberSurfer409

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hi all,

So here is the quick version. My windows 7 computer is shutting itself down. I've replaced the Video Card and Liquid cooling unit but it still seems to occur. Now for the full story below :) Computer specs at the end

About 3-4 weeks ago my desktop started making a weird noise. I finally decided it was the video card (noise stopped when I would touch the fan). Well, next thing I know the computer is shutting itself off. I would turn it on and 5-15 minutes later it would power off as if someone disconnected the power supply. So I shut the whole thing down and order a new video card.
Couple days later I notice my liquid coolant was leaking. So off to Newegg for a new liquid cooling system. I get both the new parts (video card and liquid cooling) and spent the past few nights replacing them. First I replace the liquid cooling and try booting up with the old video card (no longer making noise). Computer was up for about 10-15 minutes before powering off again. So then I install the new video card. Computer seemed to run fine. In fact it ran all day (morning till late evening). Next morning I discovered it had powered off again during the night. Since then it will boot up and run for varying times before shutting down. It doesn't appear to be connected to anything I'm doing at the time (sometimes I'm on the internet, other times, nothing is actively running).
I've already dropped $300 on new parts and can't afford much more. Does anyone have thoughts on what I can do/run/etc to try and diagnosis what is wrong. My wife is not thrilled with me buying a new computer since this one cost $3000 when I bought it just over 3 years ago. And I really don't have the money to buy one anyways. The only thing I found in the event log is 'shut down on 1/19/13 was unexpected...', although I don't know a great deal about the logs.

Computer Specs
  • Alienware Area 51 (purchased Sept 2008)
  • Windows 7 x64
  • Nvidia 790i ultra Sli motherboard 2.83GhZ
  • Corsair H60 Liquid cooling system (new liquid cooling)
  • Evga geforce GTX560 1024MB (new Video card)
  • Old Video card was NVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB
  • Corsair Ripsaw 2x8GB sticks Ram (purchased last summer-ish)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users