Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restarting By Itself

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 benthedoggg

benthedoggg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:03 AM

Computer (vaio laptop/XP) restarting by itself.

On restart I get message "gear511.exe has encountered problem and needed to close."

I heard the message is somehow related to the neatgear network card but i dont know whether its related to the system restarting...problem is happening whenever online for about 30+ min (whether wireless or direct cable)

please help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:40 AM

gear511.exe is probably a part of NetGear wireless network card.

Two ideas:
1) Remove the wireless card, and uninstall all related software (drivers, etc). Then see if problem persists (both the error message, and the rebooting issue)
2) Put some sort of blocks under the edges of the laptop (books work well for this) so that the center area of the underside of the laptop is exposed to open air. Then get a fan and run it so that air flows under the laptop. Does it reboot now? (what I am thinking is that you may have an overheating problem)

problem is happening whenever online for about 30+ min (whether wireless or direct cable)

What about if you are not connected to the internet at all? Does it reboot then? This may or may not be related to being on the internet. (If the problem is overheating, then being connected to the internet may not really matter, perhaps the timing of the reboot is important here - the fact that it happens after 30 minutes of use.)

Report back your results.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 29 March 2006 - 08:43 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:28 AM

If it turns out to be a cooling problem there are pads that are available for laptops to place them on while using to help keep them cooler.

(I'm not promoting this particular company but here is an example - there are others too)
http://www.xpad4laptop.com/

Edited by Enthusiast, 29 March 2006 - 10:29 AM.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:44 AM

Here's a highly rated cooling pad: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16834999336

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users