Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 install failures

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

I am trying to install Windows 7 Professional Edition onto a Doctor's machine (currently Vista) and the machine absolutely will not allow for a Windows 7 install, 32 or 64 bit.

When I either do a clean install, or an upgrade...the machine will error out or go to a black screen with a blinking cursor and will not progress any farther. Windows Vista however will install without an issue. The Windows 7 install will not complete so I can't boot into a safe mode and see if it is a driver issue.

This is the machine:
Dell XPS 630
http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/Servicetag/G02Z0G1

Steps I have done so far.

- I have tried multiple Windows 7 Pro install disks built form an ISO (32 and 64 bit). I tried more than one in case my install disk was corrupted.
- I have tried an official 'Dell' Windows 7 CD...same issue
- Ran a full Hardware diagnostic...no issues
- Changed hard drive in case hard drive was corrupted...replicated issue
- Can uninstall and reinstall Windows Vista with no problem.
- I tried installing Windows XP for giggles and it bluescreens with a hardware/software error.
- The doctor had a Windows 7 upgrade CD...so I reinstalled Vista and tried to upgrade...same issue.
- There is a hardware warranty on the machine, but Dell wants he doctor to upgrade to software warranty before they will address. Ran hardware diagnostics with Dell on the phone, they concur it isn't hardware related.

Sata drive in the machine, so I have read for 'compatibility' settings...but the bios version this machine has...I do not see an option for that.

IF anyone has any ideas on what troubleshooting direction I should take, please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

One thing to add...I prefer a clean install of Windows 7 Pro as opposed to an upgrade. My attempts above where I installed from a disk were clean windows 7 install.

#3 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Figured out the problem. Machine had a high end graphics card that apparently, Vista didn't have a problem with, but windows 7, when apparently trying to install, would crash and burn.

Removed card, put a simple ATI video card in...no problem.

Case closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users