Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

defragging

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

HI,I am not sure if this the right forum but here goes.
I just ran Auslogics disk defrager program and it cleaned up disk,but when i went into the different other options of
the program it said i had 666 problems in the registry and 3810 in the junk file area and it gave me the option to remove
any and all of the problems with disk cleaner now in the past the people on these forums say to stay away registry cleaners
as they can destroy your PC.
My question is how far can a novice go with Auslogics disk cleaner and is the junk file cleaner safe for a novice to use and just
leave the registry cleaner alone,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

how far can a novice go with Auslogics disk cleaner and is the junk file cleaner safe for a novice to use

Hi -
You have gone as far as anyone should with Auslogics Defragger. Just run the Defrag part and the rest of the program is not worth looking at.. :exclame:
It will not be precise or even half accurate, since some areas are just Registry Cleaner apps that should not be used at all.
Use the programs in System Tools, like Disk Cleanup, as they are set to recognise Microsoft installed programs and not remove everything -

I also have this installed, but it is only to do a "quick defrag" and no more.
Often I will run the installed defrag (in XP) just as a double check, and find it has defragged most of what I want done.

Windows7 has an automatic defrag program built in, so I set this to run every week and I can ignore it now.

Thank You -

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Question: for Windows 7, do you recommend using the built in defrag as opposed to a third party program? I understand it's a lot better than the defrag in XP. If so, how often should I run it?

#4 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

HI,I have seen mention of a program called Winpatrol i have searched on what it does but not much was
mentioned about it is this a good program just curious about it.
I think i may run XP'S disk cleaner then run Auslogics again and see if i get the same results,thanks

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Here's a link to their website. It's not a free product.

http://www.winpatrol.com/

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Question: for Windows 7, do you recommend using the built in defrag as opposed to a third party program? I understand it's a lot better than the defrag in XP. If so, how often should I run it?

Hi mate -
Windows7 has an automatic defrag program built in, so I set this to run once every week and I can ignore it now.
If I check it with another program (like Auslogics or Defraggler), I find that it is fairly well done -

Regards -

EXTRA EDIT - Please note that there is a Free version of WinPatrol, and an Upgrade to a paid lifetime version also available for US$29.95 -

Please visit their site and read on the Left Side, or check their Downloads page -

Edited by noknojon, 20 January 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#7 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

HI,I have downloaded Winpatrol free version and we will see what happens with it,i still have by Auslogics program
over 4400 problems in my PC,now if i was dumb enough to run their disk cleaner i probably have nice door stop when done.
Now just for halibut is there a legitimate way to check my PC with all those so called problems without destroying my PC
you know look inside my PC to see if these problems even exist,or is my theory that these programs are made to come up
with random phony figures to scare the living hell out of people so they buy their service to clean your PC.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

over 4400 problems in my PC,now if i was dumb enough to run their disk cleaner i probably have nice door stop when done.:hysterical:

Good one -
There are no such "errors" existing, and you could lose important information .

Thank You -

#9 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

Hi

Defragmentation tool just moves files to free spaces and makes sure files are continuous and intact right?

So how does using the Defrag and optimize option dangerous?
I started using Defrag from Auslogics because my default Xp defrag took a really long time...
Auslogics seemed faster....

They also provide a free registry Defrag utility so is it useful....
I understand that playing with the registry is dangerous.....

But each time an application uninstalls it leaves behind traces since windows loads apps and runs them using the registry won`t unnecessary entries cause issues even REVO shows the left over registries for deletion so after I delete the registry entries does
that not create a Gap in the continuity.....
so does defrag help or is it just a way to fool the user and promise false speed improvement

@noknojon
I`m a newbie just want to learn so please explain a few stuff regarding the file system and registry :P

Also I trust products from pirform i.e. speccy,ccleaner,recuva blindly is that dangerous for me and my system
I always thought that Auslogics defrag was a very safe app. so it safe for defrag or is the Defrag. app available in windows 7 professional enough..

Revo free does not offer Active monitoring of installation but advanced uninstaller Pro(Free)(AUP) does...

My Friend uses AUP but I personally think that monitoring changes during installation is dangerous and i suggested he install it...

What I feel is lets say an app. is installing and AUP is monitoring it and at the same time Antivirus is Downloading and installing updates won`t
uninstalling also harm the AV Definition files since uninstalling would mean undo everything that was done during the installation period....
Active monitoring monitors changes so won`t these also be undone.....

Would Like Your Opinion on this .....

Edited by midou1994, 25 January 2013 - 06:51 AM.

Midou

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Defragmentation tool just moves files to free spaces and makes sure files are continuous and intact right?

Hi -
I can only give you a quick idea, as the full workings of these programs is more than this space allows (several pages).

Basically, take a deck of cards out of a box, they are usually in suits and in numbered value - Now throw that deck onto your floor and randomly pick them up.
The chances of having suits and numbers in the correct order is minimal (at best) - They are "Fragmented", or not in any order.
This is an extreme example of something that is badly 'Defragmented" or not in the correct order. This can occur if no maintainence is ever done.

The tool is designed to (as much as it can) get these back into their correct order, and not disturb the MFT (Master File Tables) or harm the basic contents.
After you play games, add and remove programs, or insert anything else new into your system, these files are not always in the correct order (Fragmented).

The standard Defragmenter tools are designed just to sort, and not harm, any files that need shuffling back into their correct order, as much as they can be.

From Windows7, the process has been automated, so that you can select times and frequencies to run the Windows Defragmenter - On any XP you would generally be required to stop work and run the tool. but if you never did this it could take several hours for a badly fragmented system to be organised -

<<They also provide a free registry Defrag utility so is it useful...I understand that playing with the registry is dangerous......>> Any Defragmenter only tool must not be confused with a Registry Cleaner / Optimiser, as these are not just Organisers, but they can Delete required Registry keys and Sub-keys that are still needed for regular use.
They usually do not know what programs are installed on your system, and which ones are required. The same Uniblue / Speed Up My PC programs (examples only) run on anything from Windows7 back to XP - From this you should be able to deduce that they are not O/S specific, and just pick anything out to remove if it is not in THEIR operating range - The results are often extreme, and can leave your system without normal required installations -

If these type of tools were required, they would be included as part of Windows operating systems, and not sold by 3rd party companies that just make money from sales.

< < REVO shows the left over registries for deletion > > There is a way to run Revo so that you only choose the items that Need removal for a deleted program (see below)
Once the window is finished scanning for files and other items that were not removed, you will be presented with this example window:

Posted Image

You will only want to expand the + items and select the Bolded items, then click on Delete
If it asks you to delete other files, then do so, but pay attention to all the warnings.

From this you can see that Revo is being Selective in only removing the required items and not Deleting full Registry keys as some Registry Cleaners may do.
The Registry Key (HKCR) and the Sub-Key are still required in this example, where other aggressive cleaners will just remove the lot, and leave a total blank in the registry

< < Revo free does not offer Active monitoring of installation > > Active Monitoring is not required, as you are selective in how this program displays what sections of the items you choose to delete at any time, and not randomly grab an entry to remove the lot -

I hope this answers a few of your questions, but as I stated, a complete description is very large to put in one reply, so please ask if you have other questions -

Sorry, but I did not get time to review advanced uninstaller Pro(Free)(AUP) or even who produces it yet -

Thank You -

#11 iceman85

iceman85

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Just a quick mention that if you have a SSD, defragging is not useful at all. Actually it will only wears it more.

#12 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Thanks for Your Replies It does answer many of My Questions I will stick to Revo,and UninstallAuslogics Registry Defrag
Midou

#13 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

I want to add an important element to noknojon's extensive answer. The reason a defragmenter tries to put the files in order like noknojon explained, is because of the design and operation of mechanical hard drives. Mechanical hard drives have heads that move over spinning disks to read and write data. If the content of a file is stored on a track on a disk in order, the head doesn't have to move to read the data. But if the content is on different (non-adjoining) tracks, the head has to move to each track to read the data. Moving the head is very slow when you compare it to the speed of the spinning disks. And the further the tracks are appart, the longer it takes for the head to move.
So simply put: to speed up reading, you want to limit the movements of the heads as much as possible, and a defragmenter will reorganize your files on the disks to minimize head movements.

Remark that this applies to mechanical harddisks, thus with moving parts. As iceman85 remarked, SSDs are different. SSDs have no mechanical parts like spinning disks and moving heads.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#14 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

HI,nokojon,Well i am back,ran both system defragger and auslogics defragger both took only a few seconds (24) to be exact,but when it was done almost all the area was still red as if it had not run at all.

have had to replace home page too.  PC keeps telling me i am running out of disk space and memory yet when i go MY COMPUTOR to check the amount of space it tells me i have 69% left out of 139mb.

There appears to be something that feel has snuck into my PC that his making changes,could going on YOUTUBE be part of what is causing these problems i.e things inbedded in the YOUTUBE video

that people do not know about.

Could i have another HDD going bad and would running a disk check up program be harmful to my HDD and if i were to run a disk check up program which one is best to use,thanks

#15 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hi,

I think running multiple defrag software is not such a good idea

@ nokojon 

does each defrag software put the files in a new place like windows defrag puts them together in a sector another might move them to another sector or all are the same in this case.

@LOVEMYPC 

Do you have too many System Restore Points? 

Have you tried Running ccleaner and getting rid of temporary files and other garbage from the PC.

Did you install any new app?Usually they change home pages...for eg orbit downloader changes the homepage....

Do you have Malware Bytes if so have you Updated it and run a Full System Scan Does it show any PUP(Potentially Unwanted Software) Software....

Midou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users