Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very high MB temp sensor at boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

After installing a new video card in an older system I was trying to setup something to watch various system temperature sensors. Especially the video card, which has no fan. But when I started the machine and immediately ran one of these sensor programs -- before doing ANYTHING else -- I saw something very odd. The TMPIN0 sensor, which is usually the motherboard/northbridge sensor was showing 82 C! That's scary high. And it's just the MB chip, not the CPU. But as I watched it for a while, it slowly dropped. In a few minutes it was down to a mere 25 C, which is more typical. Admittedly, I've never used a monitor program right after booting like that before, so I don't know what is "normal". Could it be that the sensor was just inaccurate right after booting? Or does it often happen that the northbridge is called on to do so much at boot time that it heats up dramatically like that? Could it have anything to do with the new video card having been installed, while it was previous using the integrated video? (This is a nForce2 board, btw. I've heard they are infamous for running hot, but this one has always been quite cool, even while using the IGP. Until now.)

Edited by Alchemist, 19 January 2013 - 07:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

...you're running "openhardwaremonitor 0.5" - I use it myself - when I went from 0.4 to 0.5 I noticed it myself - It happens sometimes (sometimes not) on a restart too - I believe it is some kind of a reset, where it goes up, to stabilize down to an accurate reading - I don't believe it is an ITE sensor or any other kind of a machine issue - it didn't happen with the 0.4 version - the way I found out for sure which "tmp" entry was which, was with Everest Home Edition - you can have them both open at the same time, and they both display the same temps, but, Everest has all 4 of mine labeled as to which is which - then if you play around with the settings in OHM (left & right clicks - right clicks "rename" entries in the gui panel), you'll find you can put them in the system tray, as well as rename the "tmp" entries in the gui panel as to what they represent - there's a lot of functionality to OHM 0.4 - you gotta play with it - as for the high initial MB reading - I've been using OHM for 2 yrs (v0.5 since july 2012) & haven't toasted anything yet - BTW I think the MB sensor is just a sensor sticking out there somewhere & not a chip, basically for the ambient air temp inside the case as to what the whole MB is exposed to - my tower is on the floor /w/ an extra fan, & in the winter (like right now) it gets real cool - right now 72º F - Yup, you can change to farenheit too...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Edited by Dolby, 19 January 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Actually I am running CPUID HWMonitor 1.21 and I saw the same thing with Piriform's Speccy 1.19 so I don't think it's merely an artifact of one program. It happened again today when I booted this machine. The question remains whether the sensor is accurate right after boot, and whether the apparent very high temp is just the sensor adjusting to the boot. It takes quite a while to cool down, and then it runs at a very low temperature, 23-25 C, for as long as the system is up no matter what else the system does. Maybe it's something that Windows does at boot? Since I plan to install Linux on this machine eventually, maybe I will be able to see if there is a difference if gKrellM can find the same sensors. Or maybe some hardware tech can tell us if it's true that the northbridge works very hard and gets very hot at boot time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users