Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not get XP to load on old drive after loading Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 valsetz

valsetz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

I bought Windows 8 Pro upgrade on disc and tried upgrading from XP on a older computer that I have. XP was originally loaded on a old 250 gig HD and I decided that I wanted Windows 8 to be on a 1 gig HD that I had. So I cloned the 250 gig HD to the 1 gig using dd with a live CD of ubuntu. I then installed 8 onto the 1 gig HD and it worked OK. Windows 8 would load and I could do whatever I wanted but whenever I turned the computer off or reset then it would have errors and I tried fixing by reloading and trying the repair that is on the install DVD but it always failed. Anyways I am giving up on windows 8 and going back to xp, I disconnected the 1 gig drive from the computer internally and tried booting from the old 250 gig drive and I get this error every time: The operating system could not be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.
File:\\windows\system32\winload.exe
error code 0xc000000e
I can then choose to boot with a different operating system by pressing F9. Once I do this then XP loads and everything is just fine until I restart the computer again and I get the same error as above. I just want be able to load directly into XP again. I am not worried about trying to make 8 work for me.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mbryce

mbryce

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I bought Windows 8 Pro upgrade on disc and tried upgrading from XP on a older computer that I have. XP was originally loaded on a old 250 gig HD and I decided that I wanted Windows 8 to be on a 1 gig HD that I had. So I cloned the 250 gig HD to the 1 gig using dd with a live CD of ubuntu. I then installed 8 onto the 1 gig HD and it worked OK. Windows 8 would load and I could do whatever I wanted but whenever I turned the computer off or reset then it would have errors and I tried fixing by reloading and trying the repair that is on the install DVD but it always failed. Anyways I am giving up on windows 8 and going back to xp, I disconnected the 1 gig drive from the computer internally and tried booting from the old 250 gig drive and I get this error every time: The operating system could not be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.
File:\\windows\system32\winload.exe
error code 0xc000000e
I can then choose to boot with a different operating system by pressing F9. Once I do this then XP loads and everything is just fine until I restart the computer again and I get the same error as above. I just want be able to load directly into XP again. I am not worried about trying to make 8 work for me.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Load up the xp recovery disc. Recovery Windows Xp and type chkdsk /r.
Once it finishes, try to see if it gives you an error.

If not, it sounds like the partition tables are a little messed up.
Paragon Recovery Kit is a tool I use a lot to repair booting issues.
Google search that, and try that.

Let me know how you do.

#3 valsetz

valsetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Fixed the problem. I ran the XP recovery disk and then ran bootfix from the command prompt and this fixed the boot sector of the HDD and then restarted and now it goes directly into XP. Thank You mbryce for the help. I forgot about using the XP recovery disk to help fix the issue. Seems weird that Windows 8 messes with the boot sector of another HDD that is there just for extra space to store stuff.
Thanks
Again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users