Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD: Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 3psilon

3psilon

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I ran into this little annoyance when my dad asked me to fix his computer. It's an old Dell desktop, and for some strange reason, won't boot from the installation disk I put in it at startup. There's no sign of a Factory Defaults bios setup option anywhere, either. I've tried changing boot order, Hard-Disk Drive Sequence, Drive config, anything that would make any sort of difference. However, it has not.

I'm sure chkdsk would work its wonders on this old dinosaur, but I can't access the Recovery Console. I'm truly confused...

EDIT: It keeps telling me the boot.ini file is corrupt/missing. I just looked it up, and that is the only plausible cause to this error. ( http://www.pchell.com/support/unmountablebootvolume.shtml ... but yahoo search says this site has dangerous downloads. I wouldn't worry about it though)

Edited by 3psilon, 19 January 2013 - 06:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:
•Click Start and open My Computer
•Right-click on C: (or your hard drive letter) and select Properties
•Click on the Tools tab
•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
•Click on the Start button
•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and Restart your computer
•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

<<...and for some strange reason, won't boot from the installation disk I put in it at startup.>>

Where did this cisk come from? Is it a Dell disk for that system? A disk from a different computer?

What model Dell system is this, please?

Is this the same system for which you have started various topics recently?

You currently have an open topic in the Am I Infected forum. If this is the same system...please do not open any new topics until you have resolved your AII topic.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 January 2013 - 12:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users