Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Deskop

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 miss muffet

miss muffet

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

I have Win XP Home edition on a desktop. I've run ESET Smart Security in depth scan, done disk cleanup, and defrag and still it takes over a minute to open IE8. Basically, it's also extremely slow doing anything else. This came on gradually and is intolerable now.

I went to Win XP Help and had it troubleshoot for me. All it found was some error messages that seemed to be reporting that wuauserv had a problem; that's because I disabled automatic updates in efforts to cut down my running programs and services to the minimum.

Can someone help me get started on debugging?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Please run a full scan with MalwareBytes. If the scan comes up clean, let's try a selective startup:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#3 miss muffet

miss muffet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

I ran malwarebytes full scan with no problems found.

Then I opened msconfig. On the General tab under selective startup there are four items checked: Process system.ini, Process win.ini, Load system services, and Load startup items. I unchecked all four, then clicked Apply. Got message "An Access Denied error was returned... You may need to logon using an Administrator account."

I am the Administrator. So I experimented and left the Load system services checkbox checked. It first appeared that I was successful in stopping the other three, but after restarting - the Load startup items showed a grayed-out check, so it doesn't look like that option really happened. Any ideas about that?

I then tried opening my browser and it still took a full minute. So I used msconfig to return to normal startup, then started in Safe Mode with Networking. Performance improved very nicely.

How should I proceed from here? Does it sound like a bad driver somewhere? A registry problem?

Thanks, MM

Edited by miss muffet, 20 January 2013 - 01:25 AM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

It may be an IE8 addon problem or you could try another browser to check on the difference. To reset IE http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16365/reset-all-internet-explorer-8-settings-to-fix-stability-problems/

Tekken

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

If it works in safe mode but not regular mode it is most likely something starting with the OS - hence the selective startup test. But I do agree with jhayz that it the only symptom you currently have is IE you should try starting it without add-ons and/or try a different browser as a test.

#6 miss muffet

miss muffet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hmmm. I was sure I had posted a reply, but nothing is here. So... My symptom is not with IE8. The system runs slow no matter what application I'm using... Word, Outlook Express, Excel, Adobe Reader... anything - even the Task Manager... If I Ctrl-Alt-Delete, it can take up to 30 seconds to display the Task Manager. And Task Manager doesn't indicate that any particular process is hogging the system.

I don't know where to begin diagnosing. But starting in Safe Mode consistently gives me much better performance. What can I do?

MM

#7 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

When you run MSConfig you should be disabling programs in the startup tab, not general.

The running slow could be caused by insufficient RAM (This will cause constant disk activity) or not enough free space on the hard drive.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

I don't know where to begin diagnosing. But starting in Safe Mode consistently gives me much better performance. What can I do?

MM

You can follow my instructions in the second post in this thread for a selective startup.

#9 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Try this if nothing works.

Uninstall adobe flash player from add or remove programs and reinstall it again.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Try this if nothing works.

Uninstall adobe flash player from add or remove programs and reinstall it again.

Adobe flash will have no effect on anything other than the browser.

#11 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

You're right but my post was only for browsers.

still it takes over a minute to open IE8. Basically, it's also extremely slow doing anything else.

It will increase loading speed of browser and web pages.

When you run MSConfig you should be disabling programs in the startup tab, not general.

When you disable a startup in msconfig,it changes from normal startup to selective one.

When you have system slowness use the following steps

Clean boot>> uninstall security softwares >> create a test account >>chkdsk

If all these doesnt rectify the issue we can atleast confirm that its not related to software.

Edited by narenxp, 26 January 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Just to add,
Try downloading Speccy and then install the program. To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#13 miss muffet

miss muffet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

I'm grateful for all the replies but frankly there are too many suggestions from too many people wanting to help for me to handle:

Run Speccy
Clean boot, uninstall security software, create a test account, and run chkdsk
Run msconfig from the General tab
Run msconfig from the Startup tab

What really should I try at this point? The problem is not with IE8 so we can leave that out. Can I somehow get agreement on which
course to take?

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Please run the speccy first to post the hardware and software report and then continue with theother suggestions as they are all relevant to the problem.

Tekken

#15 miss muffet

miss muffet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Thought my earlier post today worked but after two hours I have come back to see if there are any responses and my post isn't here. Don't know why that happens once in a while.

I don't think I have the skills to do a clean boot, uninstall my ESET A/V software, and create a test account, then do that in reverse order to restore my system to its previous state, as requested by narenxp.

I'm concerned that I may create a new and potentially worse problem than I have now. Anyway, here's the speccy link that jhayz asked for.

Please take note that the speccy output was obtained on the problem system, but I am posting from the other PC in my home network. I don't think that should create a problem, but I wanted to make that known.

Also, The problem system has a second hard drive installed that doesn't seem to show up in the speccy list.  In Control Panel | System | Advanced | Performance | Advanced | Virtual Memory I see both drives listed as having paging space allocated. l don't know how to tell if the second drive is being used for that, but I was going to try physically disconnecting it and reboot to see if that makes any difference. Your opinion of that?

MM

Edited by miss muffet, 11 February 2013 - 10:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users