Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore image file

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aod_

aod_

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

As part of a recent project I've been doing, I backed up a hard drive to an image file.
I'm now ready to restore the image file back to the disk, but have forgotten which tool / software I used to create the file with!

The file is in .img format, and it would have been created using some freeware tools, which I probably used from various boot CD's. At the time I'd been using Hirens boot CD, EBCD, UBCD, and some system recovery linux live CD's. I've checked though all of them, and can't find the tool I used to create the image file with. I can't even remember if the tool had the ability to restore the image file, although I thin kit probably did. I think it had a GUI, possibly running within a GUI O/S, rather than a command interface. It was pretty simple to use, and opened in a small window (i think), but I can't be sure.

I've tried just about all the backup / partition tools on all the CD's and none of them seem to be the right program.

The file is a .img file, is there some free software that can restore this image back to a hard disk? It's a full disk back up, including the system partition.

Is there a way I can find out which software created the image file?

Thanks

Edited by aod_, 19 January 2013 - 10:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Just about any decent burning program should be able to burn that to a disk. If you have Windows 7 just right click the file and you should get the option to burn to disk.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 aod_

aod_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Just about any decent burning program should be able to burn that to a disk. If you have Windows 7 just right click the file and you should get the option to burn to disk.

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, it's not burning it to a disk (CD/DVD) - I need to restore the img file to a hard disk. It's a backup of an entire hard disk partition (60GB) in one single file (.img), and needs to be 'extracted' to another hard disk.

Edited by aod_, 19 January 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

You are still essentially burning an image to a disk so the same programs should still work. Nero, EzCd, CloneCD, WinISO, should all work. As a last ditch effort sometimes you can simply change the extention from .img to .iso to get it to work.

Edited by Baltboy, 19 January 2013 - 01:35 PM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users