Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My issues: Windows Vista bsod and crashing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Razzbarry

Razzbarry

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hi,
I am having issues with my computer crashing as well and have followed the directions on another post here to share my information. I get the bsod after about an hour then it goes into a cycle of reboots.

I have uploaded the output file from jcgriff2 bsod and perfmon plus the results from minitoolbox to my dropbox account but I am not sure how to share that here.

Here is the output from Speccy:
Operating System
Microsoft Windows Vista Business 32-bit SP2
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz 38 ฐC
Conroe 65nm Technology
RAM
2.00 GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 0AACh (XU1 PROCESSOR) 53 ฐC
Graphics
HP L1908w (1440x900@60Hz)
Intel Q35 Express Chipset Family
Hard Drives
233GB Western Digital WDC WD2500AAJS-60M0A0 ATA Device (SATA)
466GB Seagate ST3500630AS ATA Device (SATA) 27 ฐC
Optical Drives
ATAPI DVD A DH16A3L ATA Device
Audio
SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio

I thank you in advance for your help!
Razzbarry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hello Razzbarry,

See if this helps: How do I link to a file or folder?

Please paste the link into your next post.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Razzbarry

Razzbarry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hi, here is the link to my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b2nd6yn1swysftf/_dfG6BtwuV

Thanks again for your help.
~Razzbarry

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hello Razzbarry,

Thank you for posting that information. :)

While we examine your dump files, could you please perform the following:

(1.) To help us get a better look at your computer's hardware, please download and install Speccy by Piriform. (mirror site)
  • Run Speccy and from the top menu, select File --> Publish Snapshot. Click "Yes" to proceed.
  • Click, Copy to Clipboard and paste this address into your next post.

(2.) I see that you have My Web Search (My Fun Cards) installed.
  • I recommend that you uninstall all Web Search products on your computer as "this programs entry corresponds to a program that is either malware, installs malware, or is bundled with malware." Reference
    • To remove, click Start -> Control Panel -> (Classic view) Programs and Features.
  • Next, please install the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware.
    • Do NOT start (uncheck) the trial version of Malwarebytes after installation.
    • Update the definitions, then run a full scan. When the scan finishes, allow it to remove all that it finds. A reboot will be necessary.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Razzbarry

Razzbarry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hi Brooks,
Thank you.
I have removed my websearch and ran Speccy again.
Here is the link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/pvertpjTP8tUoI3qOVJv2Iw
Next is the malwarebytes as you directed.
Thanks again!
Razzbarry

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Razzbarry,

Thanks for the update.

Your most recent minidump file dates back to 12/03/2012. Have you experienced any blue screens since then? I don't see any listed in your System Events log.

From 12/03/2012 Bug Check code:

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for igdkmd32.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for igdkmd32.sys

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for netwg311.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for netwg311.sys
Probably caused by : netwg311.sys ( netwg311+34a14 )

netwg311.sys - belongs to NETGEAR WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter

netwg311.sys   Tue Dec 02 03:05:48 2003
You appear to be using a wired connection: Intelฎ 82566DM Gigabit Network Connection to access the internet, but have a NETGEAR WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter as well. The driver for the NETGEAR wireless card is being blamed for the BSODs in December and even earlier.

(1.) I couldn't find an updated driver for the NETGEAR WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter on the NETGEAR site. All I see is Version 2, which is what you have installed and it's 10 years old.

• As a test, I suggest that you uninstall the NETGEAR WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter.
    • Control Panel | (Classic view) | Programs and Features.
  • Power off the computer and remove the NETGEAR adapter card from the tower.

(2.) igdkmd32.sys is an Intel graphics driver.

igdkmd32.sys Thu May 31 13:50:56 2007
There looks to be an updated version of this driver on the HP website. I recommend that you update this graphics driver and chipset.
  • Go to the HP - Support and Drivers page.
  • Enter the computer Product number, usually found on a side or back sticker.
  • Choose operating system from drop down box: Vista Business (32-bit).
  • Click "Driver - Graphics" and download and install Intel Graphics Driver for Vista - 32, (7.15.10.1608, Rev. A, 6 Mar 2009).
  • Next, download and install Intel Chipset Support for Microsoft Windows - (8.4.0.1016, Rev. A7, Apr 2011).

BSOD Bug Check Code: For Informational Purposes Only

Spoiler

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Razzbarry

Razzbarry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hi Brooks,
There was some malware on my computer primarily from the my web application that I removed.
I removed the netgear software and card from the pci slot then installed the two drivers.
I assume at this point I just wait and see what happens.
Any advice on upgrading to Windows 7 versus Windows 8?
My machine definitely is slow and I am wondering if upgrading might help or make things worse.
Thanks again for your support and I appreciate any advice you have to offer and no the last BSOD was in december... frankly I just left the computer off as I had more pressing things to deal with.
Have a great day!
Razzbarry

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Hello,

A few additional issues:

Speccy Snapshot:
[bHard Drive[/b]
Disk Letter: C:
Used Space: 181GB (79%)
Free Space: 50GB (21%)

The Performance Monitor reports - "The average disk queue length is 13. The disk may be at its maximum transfer capacity due to throughput and disk seeks."

(1.) While your system drive's free space is adequate, I wouldn't let it get too much smaller. The Performance Monitor recommends that you run the Disk Defragmenter.

(2.) You are 6 months behind with Windows Updates.

A few thoughts on upgrading:
Regarding upgrading to a higher version of Windows, both Win 7 and Win 8 upgrades are possible. Microsoft offers tools to access your computer's hardware compatibility should you want to upgrade.

Will you receive much of a speed increase by updating to Windows 7 from Vista on the same computer? 12-15% according to this PCMag article. Your computer's HP website also offers Windows 7 drivers for your computer.

How about Windows 8? - Under the hood of Windows 8, or why desktop users should upgrade from Windows 7.

An upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 will present you with a familar Desktop and computing experience; minimal learning curve. Windows 8 has been redesigned for mobile devices with touch screens. It boots to a Start Screen with multiple Apps. You can access a Desktop environment but it doesn't have a Start button as in Vista or Windows 7, although one can be added easily enough via third party software. You will have to spend time learning how to navigate around the new OS and modify it to suit you; learning curve moderate. That being said, you can see from the Win 8 article above, there are many significant improvements in the new OS. It would be best to "play" with Win 8 at a store or maybe you know someone who is using 8 already.

I have Windows 8 Pro installed on an HP notebook with a core two duo, 2.4 GB, processor that initially came with Vista x64. I increased memory from 2 GBs to 4GBs. It runs nicely with the Win 8 drivers included in the installation. My Desktop has Windows 7 and that's the system I use the most. Still getting my feet wet with Windows 8.

If you have any further BSODs or other issues, just post.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users