Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

back up W7 updates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 D Willis

D Willis

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

How do you backup W7 updates so you don't have to download all of them when you reinstall windows,or can you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Are you having issues which are leading you to consider reinstalling the operating system?

If you are, what sort of problems are you having. There may be another approach to resolving this issue.

If this is purely an academic situation then I would suggest looking into cloning software like Acronis's True Image.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 D Willis

D Willis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Was considering returning the wife's laptop to original because she had so many toolbars and other junk,but I got all those removed and I'll see if she can now download recipes like she wanted to do.If she can't then I'll have to do something else.I got to thinking there could be a way to save all the updates without the time consuming downloads.I understand it's good to reinstalll periodically.I've never had much luck with the cloning programs.

Edited by D Willis, 19 January 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

My wife could give your a wife a run for the money in the race to see who has the most toolbars and other frivolous software. :whistle:

If you have any other issue please feel free to ask for assistance.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 D Willis

D Willis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Do you think the backup program in windows is good to periodically use so you can keep what is on your pc at a particuar time?And is it a good enough backup program?After doing some research I find (I should havd already known this)windows updates are temporary file and are deleted when they are installed to save disk space,so I guess the only way to save them is by a cloning program.

Edited by D Willis, 19 January 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Something you have probably heard before is that you should regularly back up your data to removable media, like CDs, DVDs, a second hdd, or online storage. There are online storage facilities which has software which will automatically upload your data so that it is stored on a regular basis. There are so many of these companies now I would be hard pressed to make a specific suggestion, but you can go by what others consider to be the top 10 at this website. Bear in mind that I don't know who compiled this information or how accurate it is. Opinions can be made on personal experiences which may or may not reflect on the quality of the product.

#7 D Willis

D Willis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

OK,thanks

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...