Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP PAVILION G7 screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Is a laptop screen internal or external hardware? HA

I'm trying to figure how compatible the different HP PAVILION G7 screens are. Someone cracked theirs on their new laptop. Such a painful thing, damaging something that costs so much. :/
Anyway, I was looking on ebay for screens to let them know how much a screen costs. When I put in "HP PAVILION G7" there were a decent number of them and they averaged around $62.
BUT..... it's a HP PAVILION G7 2220US and if I put that last part into the search, I find ONE result for about $98. BIG difference. MOST of the other ones I saw had different numbers before the US part and it has me wondering if any of them are compatible or would they have to stick with that single one I found for $98?
I tried looking around but, some topics when it comes to researching are just SO overwhelming. It's difficult to find THE right place for that info.
Any thoughts on their compatibility or where or how I could figure that out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hi, I consider a laptop screen to be internal as it is not designed to be removable.

Manuals for HP Pavilion g7-2220us Notebook PC

This is what You want. HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

What I would do and this is what I did when repairing Laptop screens for work, is Using the above linked service manual.
I would remove the screen and order using the part number off of the old screen.

Be careful unhooking the video cable from the screen and reattaching it too. They are delicate. dis-assembly for the screen starts On Page 57.
From Page 57 it does show this part number. 682755-001 searching eBay for example with "682755-001 ebay" shows lots of listings and searching Google with "682755-001 amazon" comes up with lots of listings too. I know who I would use, however..............

Then on page 62 be sure to heed this instruction or you will be ordering a video cable too.

Release the adhesive strip (2) that secures the display panel cable to the display panel,
then disconnect the display panel cable (3) from the display panel.

Good Luck
Roger

Moderator edit, I'm moving this to a more appropriate forum
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 19 January 2013 - 01:49 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Thanks. That was helpful. I'm going to be replacing the screen for someone else and I don't have the laptop here with me yet. Would be nice to order a part before opening it up but, if you think I really should do it that way, I can. Things I hate most about replacing parts is waiting... days of just waiting for the part. ha.
I've replaced a few screens now and am comfortable with it. It's interesting just how different they all are and how many things you have to take apart for some. My wife's Inspiron for instance... had to disassemble the whole stinking thing to get the screen out... but I've worked on a couple where you just mess with the screws right on the bezel over the screen.
Anyway...

I know who I would use, however..............

Do tell. For some things, I've used Amazon over ebay... but when we got stuck needing a screen here, when I looked around ebay had the best prices... and I purchased from someone that had REALLY good ratings and a good explanation. We were pleased with the product we ordered.

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'm thinking the searches on google were not so accurate
I went directly to amazon and put in "682755-001" No results... Directly to Ebay and searched the same... one single result. The one result I mentioned earlier that's about $98. :/

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

I just search in Google with
682755-001 ebay
and
682755-001 amazon

and I get couple of results showing.

It does look like $100 approx. is what they are selling for. You can wait and see if there is a different part number on the actual screen.
searching this way "17.3" WXGA+ Glossy LCD" shows a lot of cheaper selections, The question is are they compatible?

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

searching this way "17.3" WXGA+ Glossy LCD" shows a lot of cheaper selections, The question is are they compatible?

yeah, that's why/what I was asking. I wish there were a SIMPLE option to find out with say, calling HP or something. But I know if I called there I'd get transfered here and there to someone that is just reading info off a screen and doesn't actually know. :/
I hate seeing such huge differences in price. I want them to get the right screen but I don't like anyone having to pay more than they really need to...
Of course, $100 isn't even bad if you compare to direct from HP. I was just looking on their site and put in that part number... came up as $333.45. Are they on crack or something? Sheesh.

Edit: While googling for that part I found one listed for a 2017us model... checking ebay for that model instead of 2220us, I found 3 more screens but they were all just about $100... So, there might be some compatible screens out there, but maybe they're all going to be that much. :/

Edited by millipede, 19 January 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

I did find this one for $93 but Web of Trust has no rating for them and I do not know them either so??

And I didn't see a shipping cost and that may make them higher too.

I guess what I would do next is wait and see. The screen may have that HP part number but also a manufacturer of the screen part number that could be more help.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Hey, I finally picked up the laptop today along with the money to order the screen. The screen I had been looking at has dropped in price by about $8 or something. But, still high.
To recap, this is the screen I was looking at, the ONLY one I could find on ebay... This is based on the search for "G7 2220US screen"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-17-3-WXGA-Glossy-LCD-LED-Screen-For-HP-Pavilion-G7-2220US-/150963523461?pt=US_Laptop_Screens_LCD_Panels&hash=item2326208f85

I decided I might just go ahead and take it apart(only about 2 millions screws before you get to the screen) and see the part numbers as you mentioned.
It turns out to be a Samsung screen with different part numbers than what HP says will be in there. Go figure.
Anyway... on ebay, using the part numbers... there are TWO different ones that BOTH refer to a screen. (LTN173KT02 and LTN173KR01-002)
Using either of those, I find quite a few more screens at a much lower cost. Which of course is nice...
I'm guessing just about any of them would actually work? They're all the same as far as size and how they're backlit I believe. And I believe they all have their connections in the same location. My one concern... while searching those part numbers on ebay, some looked the same as is in this machine and some do not look exactly alike. There's a cable or something on the left hand side on this one(under the plastic) that isn't in some of the replacements I'm seeing on ebay. I'm not sure if that is something that would matter or not.
Anyway, here's a picture of the back of the actual screen I'm going to replace. I circled the part on the left that isn't in some of the other pictures on ebay... and I showed where on the back I found the two separate part numbers... with circles and arrows. I can get more pictures if I need to. :)
Posted Image

Let me know what you think. I hope to order something today and if I can get one in the $50-$60 range instead of almost $100, that would be great. :)

While I'm here, I have another question about something I came across while disassembling. Having to disconnect the wires for the wireless antenna things that are part of the top... The wires going to the card are numbered. The numbers (1 and 2) match the location on the card. But, the colors of the wires do not match the arrows on the card. Is this normal? a mistake? I just thought the white cable attached where the white arrow is, and black where the black arrow is. But, the numbers line up.
Posted Image

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hi, I had a feeling it would be cheaper by the manufacturers part number.

My best guess is that if the art numbers are the same it will work. If it worries you get one that looks exactly the same, keeping in mind that what the picture shows may not be exact.

Normally it would be white wire to the white post and black to black. However if you are sure they were wired the way you are showing #1 to #1, I stay with the way it was unless someone was inside before.

In the future if you do this sort of thing again. Handy tip leave the wires on the card and just pull the card with the wires attached. When I was doing the screen repairs I also took some shortcuts like that. I could change a normal screen in 30 minutes approx. In your case until you get some experience it is best to follow the manual.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Thanks... Did I ever mention how bad I am at making decisions? :/

One of the two different part numbers you can look up has other numbers after it for some. What I mean is where the sticker on the back says "LTN173KT02" some screens on ebay say "LTN173KT02 H01" Or, slightly different endings. They all looks the same, connection in the same place, same size, etc... I wonder what the difference is, if there is one.
One reason I'm wondering is because of how indecisive I am about who to trust, etc.
I was looking at one screen...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAPTOP-LCD-SCREEN-FOR-SAMSUNG-LTN173KR01-002-BOTTOM-LED-HD-A-/160957125920?pt=US_Laptop_Screens_LCD_Panels&hash=item2579cad520
That one is just under $60, free shipping. Good seller, good ratings, etc... no mention of dead pixels.
The other one I was looking at, among others, is
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-17-3-LED-LCD-LAPTOP-SCREEN-LTN173KT02-H01-WXGA-Grade-A-100-Tested-/190729037764?pt=US_Laptop_Screens_LCD_Panels&hash=item2c685627c4
This one has the "H01" at the end. They're also more expensive. After shipping it would be about $86. Reasons why I'm looking at that one at all???? We bought from them before and were pleased with what we got. They also say their stuff doesn't come with dead pixels, and they have a 1 year warranty.
Eh..... We'll decide something on it before the day is over.

About the wires. How it is in the picture is how it was before I disconnected them. I'll put them back in how I found them... 1 to 1 and 2 to 2. I'll test it out and see that everything is working before I'm done.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Hi, I'm not sure but I believe the H01 at the end is a slightly different model. If you found an exact match at a reasonable price.................

I don't buy on ebay at all so I have no advice that way.

I guess I'm not trusting enough. I buy on Amazon, Newegg, Tiger Direct and even then I try and find one that says fulfilled by Amazon as they seem to come quicker.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#12 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

I'm not very trusting myself... but on ebay, I can see and compare enough information to make informed decisions.
For those part numbers, tiger direct and newegg had nothing. Amazon had only a few.
I think we're going to choose the one that cost a little more. We've used them before with good results. They were very helpful, fast, etc. And about the H01. I decided to zoom into their pictures and saw on at least one of the pictures, their sticker was exactly the same as on this one. The H01 was on a second line at the end of a bunch of other numbers. And, it was on this one as well.
We'll see how it goes I guess. :)

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

FWIW I wasn't suggesting them for the screen, I was just indication where I buy online from.

Good Luck with the repair.
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#14 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Oh, I know... and I appreciate hearing such opinions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users