Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Center

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

I hate asking so many questions but when you have questions, you have questions.

I was recently running my computer(Dell Inspiron, win 7) in safe mode and because I wanted to stay in safe mode that day and wanted to watch tv, I attempted to watch tv through windows media center... being in safemode, the program would not run... I was not able to watch tv...
Next time I opened media center in normal mode, it had gone from wide to full screen. I'm on a widescreem monitor so, it was a bit frustrating. If I stretch it enough to be as wide as the screen, the program wouldn't fit on the screen vertically.
I googled, briefly, how to change it back. One suggested holding control while resizing but that didn't work. I believe I saw some mention of playing with the registry but I haven't gone back to trying that. Was just wondering if there was a simple way to change it.
I'll probably head back to google in a day or two if someone doesn't get back to me. Too tired to this evening...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

bump...  I have just kind of dealt with the problem so far and not let it bother me... but, it does a bit.
I want to clarify that the aspect ratio of what's playing is not off but the size/shape/ratio of the window is.  media center used to open up as widescreen so when you played something widescreen, it filled in the entire window.  These days windows media center, when I open it up rather than being a widescreen shaped rectangle, it's more square(the window itself) like full screen.  So when I play something widescreen, it displays the content at the correct aspect ratio but the window stays the wrong way.  So, in order to it display the widescreen content properly, you have bars above and below the content.  So... as I mentioned before, in order to have it take up more of my actual monitor screen, I'd have to stretch media center SO much that you could not see the top or bottom of the program.  This does not work when you want to move something around.
If I simply go into FULL screen it displays fine but I often prefer to have it as a window and not full screen.
I have right clicked and messed with the zoom options during playback...  I've gone into settings and made sure it's set on widescreen.  I've poked around a bit and tried googling and I just haven't found the answer I'm looking for so far.
Unless I find a simple solution......  I'm thinking, is media center a free download for win 7 users?  Perhaps I could simply uninstall it and reinstall it and if I'm lucky, it will go back to how it was?
Anyway... watching a show at the moment so I'm not going to mess with it now but I REALLY do want to fix this.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users