Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD at startup: STOP: c0000135

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 floodo1

floodo1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I posted over here in the malware forums, but it looks like this is probably not malware related (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic481615.html/page__p__2946380#entry2946380).

Can anyone give me any advice about how to proceed in fixing this BSOD issue. ALL the info I find points to AVG antivirus and their rescue disc, or to malware, but I've never had AVG and no symptoms of malware issues.

Should I just save myself pain and reinstall?

Ok, so when I boot my computer normally it gets to the Windows logo but then suddenly restarts. If I try safe mode it gets as far as ClassPNP.sys but then restarts. Safe mode with networking is a no go either.
Tried running the automatic repair from a windows repair disk and it says something about "no root cause".'
If I hit F8 during bootup and select the option that prevents windows from restarting on an error, it does the normal bootup, gets to the windows logo screen, then blue screens saying:

STOP: c0000135 The program can't start because $hs is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

From what i've gathered from this forum I need to run FRST64 and post the log.
Here you go.

PS- The problem started after I installed 3 optional windows updates. Windows update got to the point of restarting the computer, I noticed my apps start closing because the restart process had been initiated, but before windows could fully shutdown my computer basically crashed (funky looking lines on the screen) and spontaneously restarted.
Ever since then I've had this problem.
So I'm pretty sure the cause is that these latest updates didn't completely install.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hello floodo1,

Do you still need help? If yes:

1. ) What is the make and model number of your computer?

2. ) Do you have files on the non booting computer that you would like to save?

Should I just save myself pain and reinstall?

3. ) There are certainly a few things we could try before a re-install.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 floodo1

floodo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Home built
Asus p5ke
Intel q6600
4gb ram
Ati 4870
Samsung 830 128gb

Yes I'd like to keep some files

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Hi,

How to recover your Documents from an unbootable Windows System:

What you will need:
  • Another computer with internet connection and a CD burner.
  • Software capable for "burning an "iso" image to CD" (see ImgBurn below)
  • A blank recordable CD disc.
  • A USB Flash drive or external USB drive large enough to rescue all of your documents.
1. ) Start by downloading Precise Puppy Linux (166 MB) from here or here.

2. ) Burn the Puppy Linux iso file to CD.
  • Don't know how or can't burn an "Iso" image?
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
3. ) Make sure your ailing computer is set to boot from CD\DVD drive first, either by pressing the appropriate "F" key to bring up the boot menu or by setting the computer to boot first from CD\DVDROM in Bios setup. (See how to)
  • Boot the ailing computer with the newly created CD.
  • Puppy Linux is a "Live CD" which means that it runs outside of the windows operating system that is on your computer.
  • Puppy should progress and run automatically. When the desktop loads, click "OK" at the Quick Setup screen, then (X) out of the Welcome Screen.
  • Note the icons, bottom left, above the Menu button. They represent each drive on your computer. Plug in your USB Flash drive if you haven't already. The flash drive icon will soon appear (i.e. sdb1).

Posted Image

• Unlike Windows, in Puppy you only have to mouse click once on an icon to open it.
  • Find your system hard drive by exploring the hard drive icons ("hda" or "sda").
    • If you have more than one hard drive, your system drive will contain the Windows folder.
  • For WINDOWS Vista and 7 - Click once on your hard drive. Navigate to "Users," then "<YourUserName>." You will see My Documents, My Music, My Pictues folders listed.
    • Note: use the Posted Image at the top left of the screen to go back up a directory.
  • Click once on your USB drive. Now arrange the two screens by dragging them using the top, title bar so that both are visible; one on top of the other. Each window can be made smaller by positioning your mouse either on the top or right side of each window and dragging.

Posted Image

• Drag the files or folders that you want rescued into the USB drive and release. Click "Copy." Do the same for any other folders or files that are important.
    • (Note: Folder sizes may be quite large and exceed the capacity of your USB flash drive. File copying may have to be performed sequentially)
  • When the Flash drive is full, you can right mouse click on the Desktop Flash Drive icon and select "Dismount." Remove Flash drive and copy files to another computer. Re-insert Flash drive into non bootable system to recover additional files.
  • To "Exit" Puppy Linux, click "Menu," "Shutdown," and "Reboot computer."
    • You will be presented with a screen asking to save any personal settings.
    • Click "Do Not Save."
  • The system will reboot. Remove the CD.

Please let us know if you are successful.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 floodo1

floodo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

ok, so my files are safe. didnt take up as much space as I expected!

So now I've got a broken install but i dont care about the files on that drive.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

From your previous malware topic:

floodo1 - Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Here is exactly what "Startup Repair" says when it runs from the repair disk:

Problem Signature:
Problem Even Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200386
Problem Signature 05: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 06: 3
Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Finally, if I try to run SFC /SCANNOW it gives this error

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again.

You don't have any external hard drives plugged into the computer do you? If so, please remove.

At this point, you have two options:
  • Option one: Run an offline check disk and system file check using the repair disk to see if that helps.
    • I will post directions.
  • Option two: You go ahead and perform a recovery of your operation system using either your recovery media or hidden partition on the hard drive.

Let us know your preference.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 floodo1

floodo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Wow, talk about a crazy turn of events. Came up on a copy of windows 8 today, so I decided to just forget my old windows 7 install. Since I could save the files that I need I'll have to setup my apps again, but small price to pay for fresh OS :) :) :)

thanks for the help so far.

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Thank you for that update and happy computing. :)

Regards,
Brooks

#9 floodo1

floodo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Now I'm wondering just how messed up my windows 7 install was. My system was pretty unstable before it borked itself, and since the new install I'm not having any instability. Fingers crossed that this rock solid action maintains. Who knows...I had that windows 7 install for a few years now and it's transitioned from one drive to another, so I'm actually kind of happy to have a freshie install :) :) :)

Thanks again fellas. Had no idea that this forum exists, but it's been a pleasure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users