Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Movie/Computer tie in question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mechanoid2k

Mechanoid2k

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

So I guess this question is for people in the know about obscure storage technology and the movie The Matrix. In the beginning of the movie Neo makes some extra money on the side selling illegal software. A few people show up at his door and offer him money for his software, he accepts the money and returns with a Diskette that kind of resembles a standard floppy disk. I'm curious to know what kind of disk it is (if in fact its an actual form of storage and not something the prop department came up with).

thanks for reading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

It's been so long since I saw the movie that I can't remember such detail, but maybe it was a Zip disk?

Posted Image

#3 Mechanoid2k

Mechanoid2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Nope it wasn't a zip disk. I rewatched the scene and it actually looks more like a rectangular UMD.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

HI, I'm Not a fan of the movie.

However could it have been this

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSt8h_Uuldt1pW_zOYFVd-j07X-kRUHXxtv4-Kbu6pPEz8JxIvvPx4jhg

There floppy drives that could use regular 3.5" floppies and the Superdisk.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 19 January 2013 - 06:19 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 JoanneMT

JoanneMT

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

Prior to both of those was a 5" floppy. I think it was the first for PCs. I only saw the movie a couple of times, but chuckled when I saw the first input data format in such a futuristic setting. I have one, but would need to dig for it. Is it that important to you?

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Prior to both of those was a 5" floppy. I think it was the first for PCs. I only saw the movie a couple of times, but chuckled when I saw the first input data format in such a futuristic setting. I have one, but would need to dig for it. Is it that important to you?

FWIW the 5.25" floppy was only the first used in IBM clones, for older CP/M computers 8" was common and Radio Shack sold computers that used the *" floppy too.

Don't forget the 8" floppy

or the Bernoulli Box.

Or the ill fated 3" floppy.

Interesting article here Ten Strange PC Storage Formats

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 20 January 2013 - 11:04 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 JoanneMT

JoanneMT

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

HA! I forgot about the ".25" on the 5" floppies. And about the huge storage... But we were only saving funny DOS games. When my baby was about 4, she liked to play those games, and didn't read yet, so I used stick-on letters on the tube to guide her out of one game and into the next. One of the lines was "y". Can't remember the rest...

Thanks for the memories :gathering:

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Looks like it was a Worm Disk.

Images
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Mechanoid2k

Mechanoid2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Looks like it was a Worm Disk.

Images

Boopme it appears you're correct. From the pictures I saw it looks most like a worm disk

#10 HydroLar

HydroLar

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Ah yes...the old 5.25 inch floppy disks; I remember them well. The first ones, or low density disks, held a whopping 360k of data and were notorious for developing 'bad sectors' and making your data irretrievable. Then the 'high density' disks were introduced and they could hold somewhere around 1.2m - and that was all I saw for years. In the late 80's, where I worked we used shared network drives to hold and share data and used floppies only when necessary.

Ah the memories... :mellow:

-HydroLar
Posted Image

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

#11 Mechanoid2k

Mechanoid2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

haha I remember when i was in grade 8 we did some photography and we had the old digital camera's that took the standard 3 1/4" floppy disk. This was only about around 7 or 8 years ago and i was really surprised at how many pictures it could actually store on one, I'm still not sure how it works hehe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users