Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Share network printer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wishmd

wishmd

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

My Brother MFC-5840CN is USB connected to my desktop computer, which has 32-bit Windows XP. I have a Dell Studio x64 with Windows 7 installed and I want to share over the network to the Brother printer. When I go through the paces I get the message that the .inf driver is missing. Have gone through the various help sites (Brother, Windows, FixYa, etc.), downloaded and installed BRAdmin Pro 3, but nothing has worked so far.

Help is appreciated.

Edited by wishmd, 18 January 2013 - 08:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Lets get the simple stuff out of the way. Did you share the printer successfully on the XP machine? Did you download the appropriate driver on the Windows 7 machine? When you are doing the setup of the new printer on the Windows 7 machine at what point does it give you the error message?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 wishmd

wishmd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Yes, I have shared the printer successfully on 2 XP machines. I attempted to connect the Windows 7 x64 laptop across the network to the printer, but could not because it was looking for a *.inf driver which could not be found. Have been unable to find a suitable driver. On the laptop I requested to add a new printer, via the network. That's when I got the message.

I then attached the printer directly to the USB port on the laptop and the printer is now recognized on the laptop, but the network driver problem remains.

I'm wondering if this printer is not compatible with the Windows 7 x64 configuration at all?

Thanks for your help.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

When sharing the printer the compatable driver must be installed on the target computer. That is why you are getting the error message because the driver is missing on the windows 7 machine.

Hereis the brother site locate your model and they walk you through getting the needed driver from windows update. After the driver is installed it should work fine.
Mark Twain

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

When sharing the printer the compatable driver must be installed on the target computer. That is why you are getting the error message because the driver is missing on the windows 7 machine.

Hereis the brother site locate your model and they walk you through getting the needed driver from windows update. After the driver is installed it should work fine.
Mark Twain

#6 wishmd

wishmd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Problem solved. Instead of attaching the printer to the desktop via USB, attached it via Etnernet cable to the router. Now all 3 computers access the printer on the network. Sweet.
Thanks for all the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users