Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need hdd diagnostic tool for Samsung SV 120 3n HD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wharriss

wharriss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I have a Samsung SV 320 3n HD in my 2003 HP Pavilion a320n windows xp desktop and according to an old Samsung web page I found that the HD diagnostic scanner to use for this HD should be HUTIL. I have tried both the iso version on a CD and the .exe version on a floppy and I couldn't get either to run. They both get to the first screen and don't go further. All the Samsung computer stuff has been bought out by Seagate and there is no support for this old drive or even a download for HUTIL on the Seagate website.. Can someone recommend a HD diagnostic scanner that might run on my old machine? Right now, I can't get it to boot in normal or safe, can't do system restore, or go bsck to last known good config, but I can boot with standalone virus scanners and have run several different ones without finding anything serious. I really just now, want to find a HD diagnostic tool I can run and get a report of some kind on the condition of the HD
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

hi ,i found this download at majorgeeks .com just click on one of the download selection links

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Samsung_Drive_Diagnostic_Utility_Hutil_d5769.html

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

HUTIL is outdated, the Seagate diagnostics should work on that drive.

If HUTIL failed to run on the drive...I'd guess that there's a good chance that the drive is not functional.

Louis

#4 wharriss

wharriss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Hi folks

I have been trying very hard for two weeks to get this computer to boot in normal and/or safe mode with no success. I ran every bootable anti virus tool I could find and found and deleted a few virus such as Trojan TR/Crypt.Gen, JS/Heur and Trojan/Tracur.B, but still couldn't get a boot in windows. I ran a windows recovery (keeping my data files) from a HP windows xp Operating System CD I had. After that, I could then boot into windows but the system was very slow and some strange things were happening, so I decided to use the Windows Operating System CD to do a partition and destructive restore.

After that, I was able to boot, so I used the very old windows explorer browser that came on the Installation disk to download and install Windows XP SP3 (SP1 came on the disk). Then I downloaded AVG and MalwareBytes and ran AVG in normal mode and was surprised to find two instances of Trojan JS/Tracur. AVG removed both. I can't find a log file or quarantine log on the 2013 AVG so I don't know exactly what files it found the viruses on, but I remember one was on a Norton 360 file, the program I had been running on the computer before the reinstall.

I am a novice, but I would have thought all files pertaining to the old Norton 360 would have been removed, but obviously not. I then ran a full scan with MBAM and it found nothing.

For now, I am attributing all my problems to a deeply imbedded virus. I let a person who was supposed to be a Norton technician have control of this computer on several different occasions in December working on a problem with Norton Identity Safe feature and Firefox 17, and later I found out it was simply a matter that Norton had not done a patch to make Norton Identity Safe compatible with Firefox 17. I had MBAM and a couple other antivirus programs installed on this PC (I did not have them running--- only used them occasionally to check against Norton 360 which was my primary antivirus) The technician promptly removed all except Norton, and I began to have troubles soon after, which got worse and worse first manifesting itself that I was unable to even install or run several anti-virus programs. Then I got to where I couldn't even boot.

I seem to be up and running now as of 3:30am this morning!!

My hard drive seems to be physically OK. I will try to find a diagnostic tool to run for the HDD now that I can boot. The HUTIL tool recommended on a very old Samsung web page and other places wouldn't work for this Samsung HDD

Any specific recommendation for a diagnostic tool for me to try would be appreciated.

Thanks very much for all your suggestions and help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users