Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older Apple computer / Newer internet connect

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gduv

gduv

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hi folks,
Got a question for Apple Computer fans of which I'm one.
My wife and I are slowly coming out of a long financial nosedive and are getting better. We have a small stash of $$ to buy computer, printer, and desk rig to fit into small apartment. We're thinking also about connecting to net via "PayGo" secured WI-FI metered account.
I'm looking, first, at older G4 laptops /desktops installed with OS X 10.5 ( Leopard ) on experienced, E-Bay seller sites only due to tight $$ situation. Informed by a local "Apple authorized" refurbisher / reseller that the minimum machine I should consider would be an Intel Mac from 2006 to about 2008 to connect to internet via WI-FI and over our budget by about $125 or more.
Better off, I would be, with the newer Apple computers and Snow Leopard ( OS X 10.6 ) wouldn't be bad either, our situation is either pay rent or buy a used computer ( I'm for paying rent since sleeping in my truck is not a great choice ). Can you help with our conundrum ? Older used Apple running older OS X or not so old Apple computer running OS X 10.6 or OS X 10.7 which we can plan for in near future.
Right now, we use some networked PCes running XP SP3 and are weary of Windows and would be happy to get back to wonderful imperfection with Apple products.
Thanks for any kind of help.
Much health and happiness to you and yours.

Apple IBook/ OS X 10.2.8/ Camino 1.03/I-Cab/Safari 1.03/
and a Frog in a Tuxedo

7450 I-Mac, G4/ 1.2 ghrz/1.5gb RAM/ single core/OS X 10.5.8/ Camino/ Neo Office/Seashore/ Bean/ Java update

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Have you looked at Apple's online refurbished store? I seen a Mac Mini go for less than $500 a few days ago. Sadly, Apple doesn't support the PPC Macs and the software for them anymore. Same with 3rd party developers. Save up for a newish Mac that can still upgrade future software. Some of the earlier Intel Macs aren't compatible with Mac OS X 10.8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users