Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

moving of files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnbhoy07

johnbhoy07

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hello everyone, 1st of all i'm really a novice when it comes to all things technical so i will appologise in advance. I have in the past simply dragged files/folders from my download folder to either my music library or some other place as the mood took me. Over the past few days I'm now finding that it will only copy to the destination and not just move. Anyone have the remotest idea why this has happened. Please be kind and dont tell me that i'm stupid...I already know that.....lol

Regards
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Try running chkdsk /r and defragging your Windows partition.

Louis

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Have you recently started moving the files to a different drive? The default operation for drag&drop is move when the destination is on the same partition, and copy to another partition/drive. There are sensible technical reasons for this.

If that's what is causing the difference you've noticed, the simplest work-around is to hold Shift as you drag. This causes the drag&drop operation to be a move - the mnemonic being "shift these files..."

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 johnbhoy07

johnbhoy07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the answers guys have ran chkdsk and defragged and still no difference

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

Just to confirm, are you transferring the files to a location on the same partition?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 johnbhoy07

johnbhoy07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

From my download folder to My Music Folder..last week it moved no probs this week it just copies i know that the end result is the same but just wondering how this has changed??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users