Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question regarding formating and HDD Performance

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 One antler

One antler

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

So for the past 7 - 8 months i had the habit of formating my HDD and reinstalling my OS and everything else once a month, now I've noticed my startup times have gotten a little bit slower over the past month, Could i have permanently slightly altered the performance of my HDD due to my habit? I don't think its malware related or anything either because there have been no telltale signs/errors/redirects or anything. Edit: i also ran the seagate Diagnostic software linked in the sticky at the top of this sub forum and it showed no problems.

Edited by One antler, 18 January 2013 - 06:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

A few things to remember about hard drives. First like every other mechanical thing they fail eventually and the harder they are worked the sooner they fail. Most drives have a MTTF or Mean Time To Failure usually given in hours. That rating is for what they consider average use. What isn't included in that is the as the drive creeps towards that MTTF it has other errors. Inevitably blocks go bad and are marked off never to be used again. Power failures and other shocks can cause drive heads to crash into the platters ruining even more blocks forever. Unless you have SMART enabled drives and have on in the BIOS you will never see any of this going on. If you do you still may not see it..even more so since you wipe out your logs once a month.

So is your habit a bad one????? Technically speaking no it should not damaged the drive other than maybe accellerating its decay slightly. However the drive will tend to get slower over time due to the inevitable decline. Most people would not even realize it however the change is typically so small. The real question is why would you want to go through that work every month??? Even Windows 98 which was terrible at using drive space,fragmentation, and a bloated registry could hum right along for years with needing to be re-installed or losing to much speed with some occasional maintenance. Usually what bogs down windows is the left over junk from installing and uninstalling tons of programs over the years. Also more programs usually equates to having more of them happening at startup which is what really chews into your startup time. Check in the forum related to your OS on almost all of them there is a pinned topic related to slow start up.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I did go through the steps described in the Slow computer? sticky i regularly defrag my drives i check for registry errors i ran CHKDSK i have smart enabled and there's been no other strange warnings signs. My habit is formating my drive despite no signs of any reasons to do so really I'm just stumped at why its doing this all of a sudden, my startup time has pretty much doubled in the past month without any installation of new programs or any changes to the hardware. Also if you do a complete format wouldn't there be no registry issues because it resets it?

Edited by One antler, 19 January 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

i would download the drive manufacturers diagnostic utility and test the drive with that. SMART is helpful but not always 100% accurate IME. Formatting will eliminate registry bloat other than what you put back when re-installing everything. Do you do a real format or the quick format when you re-install? Real format takes a lot longer but scans for bad sectors/blocks and such which can be helpful. what operating system are you using?
Mark Twain

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hi, Something else to try, HDtune
From this page here is the free version link

There is also a 15 day trial version that has many more functions.

Here are the results from a SSD drive, Notice the access times. These are part of what makes a SSD drive faster. This is an older well used Intel SATA II drive.

Posted Image

And here are the results from a Seagate 1Tb 7200 RPM drive

Posted Image
This is what your drive should look like. The data rates should look different but the overall curve should resemble this.
You can also see that the drive is the fastest at the Start of the storage area and slows down the more it is used. Another difference between a SSD and 7200RPM traditional type drive.

This is if you wanted to benchmark the hard drive?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Win 7 Ult and the type of format i do is the Windows setup disk one which i believe is a soft format.

#7 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

So i ran that Benchmark software and it came back looking like this what do you guys think? Edit: sorry had browser running and i forgot to defrag heres the more accurate one. Attached File  HDTune_Benchmark_SAMSUNG_HD103SJ.png   36.42KB   5 downloads

Edited by One antler, 20 January 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#8 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

This computer is a gaming based computer so i have installed and uninstalled a bunch of large files (games) so that benchmark compared to the one the moderator posted looks quite bad is this drive just on the way out?

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hi, Were You doing anything else at the time?

It might be helpful to post the results of the health Tab and the error scan results.

Your speeds Look OK, I'm not sure about the dips along the curve, That is one reason I asked about if anything else was running..

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#10 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Nope was just on the desktop with nothing else open. I did run the error scan part of the program and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Edit: come to think of it i do have malwarebytes check for updates every 5 minutes so maybe thats something.

Edited by One antler, 21 January 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hi, You could try closing Mbam and then run it and see if those dips disappear.

What did the health tab show?

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#12 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Health tab shows all OK Turned off auto update and ran it again heres the graph. test number 2 is a minute or two after number 1
Attached File  HDTune_Benchmark_SAMSUNG_HD103SJ.png   44.18KB   2 downloads
Attached File  HDTune_Benchmark_SAMSUNG_HD103SJ #2.png   34.75KB   2 downloads

Edited by One antler, 21 January 2013 - 05:58 PM.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Hi, Just for reference why not keep the results handy for comparison at a later date.

It seems OK, I'm curious what Baltboy thinks.

It couldn't hurt to run the Drive makers Diagnostics too. Since Samsung was bought by Seagate, that makes SeaTools the choice to use.
Run the Short test and the Long test. Keep in mind that if the Long test shows and errors and offers to fix them. The Fix involves swapping in spare sectors which can cause data loss. SO Backup before any repairs

SeaTools for DOS tutorial, Includes tool download links and how to create the bootable CD disk.

utorial for the use of SeaTools for DOS, explaining all of its functions and options including how to zero-fill internal drives.

SeaTools for DOS is a comprehensive, easy-to-use diagnostic tool that helps you quickly determine what is preventing you from accessing data on your desktop or notebook computer. It includes several tests that will examine the physical media on your Seagate or Maxtor disk drive and any non-Seagate disk drive. This is the walk-through for both the old (text) and new (GUI) version.

The Zero fill function will put the drive back to the same un-partitioned condition as when you bought it. Since You plan to format anyway at the next install, why not try that ahead of time.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#14 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

The HD tune does not to out of whack. It is hard to say for certain with out a baseline of a new drive of the same exact model to compare it to. The dips are definite hangs where the head needs another pass to read the sector right but again not really out of the ordinary. If you have the time to re-format I thinkthe best bet would be to do the long error test followed by the re-install.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users