Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix / McAfee Total Protection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 JB53

JB53

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

In another forum, it has been requested that I run ComboFix which of course requires all AV products to be disabled.

I had McAfee Total Protection installed but it lapsed due to the contract expiring while the PC was totally out and payment not being made.. I can open it but every function is greyed out so I cannot make changes.

I continually get pop ups reminding me that there is no coverage until payment is made; I assumed that meant that it is disabled.

When I ran combofix, it said that McAfee AV and McAfee anti spyware are running but combofix will continue although the results will not be reliable.

Is there another way to "disable" McAfee? Stopping processes? Stopping services?

Thanks for any assistance.

Edited by JB53, 18 January 2013 - 04:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

See this:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 JB53

JB53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thanks Budapest; I do have the uninstall procedures but was hoping to simply disable it.

The volunteer working with me on malware removal already has a DDS log and did not want any program additions / deletions made to the pc.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hello -
As you currently have a topic open in Malware Removal area, please first ask your helper there so we do not give incorrect information.

Please only keep to that topic unless your helper has asked you to post in another area of the forum

Thanking You -
EDIT - Blind Faith has requested this ............
"Try not to make any changes by yourself. Follow the exact instructions I am giving you"

Edited by noknojon, 18 January 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#5 JB53

JB53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Thank you; I wasn't doing anything without Blind Faith's direction. Since she wanted combofix run with no AV enabled, I was just looking for an alternative way to disable it. I was then going to run it past her.

Thanks again for your reply; have a great day.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Blind Faith should be able to answer any questions you have.

Because you are being helped in MRL this topic is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users