Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP G42-415Dx will not start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MikeSCA

MikeSCA

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hello,
I working on an HP G42-415DX that is two years old, (out of warranty), that will not start. When the power button is pushed the LED flashes on the power button and the wireless button (F12) once and that is it. The battery charge indicator LED shows the battery is charged and the power supply is working properly, (I replaced the power adapter).

So far I have replaced the CPU per another forum board recommendation, tested the RAM, and reset the power. Posts on other board suggested the system board was not the cause so I have not gone to the board replacement. (frankly the cost to buy a used computer is less than repairing).

Any ideas at this point will be welcome, At this point I just want to figure out the issue.
Mike

Edited by MikeSCA, 18 January 2013 - 03:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SnowmansN1pples

SnowmansN1pples

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Do you know what graphics chip it is using? I have come across a lot of HP notebooks that have faulty graphics chips in them. The presario/pavilion V3000-9000 series were all plagued with chips that boiled the contact points for the gpu and motherboard. I have come across more that have problems that resemble this same problem. I have a clients G62 here with the flashing LED problem, this laptop is not pointing to anything in the LED indicator list though. After a little research I found that this series also has problems with the AMD vision graphics. If you replaced the processor and your still not getting it to start research and see if it is a common issue after a few years for these laptops, I'd almost put money on a graphics problem because I've had it happen many times before and it seems to be a problem that hp has yet to completely fix with newer models. Hopefully this is of some use to you, and I hope you make out well.

#3 MikeSCA

MikeSCA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

SnowmansN1pples - thanks for the reply. I did think of that issue, I have experienced the graphics card problem on several HP models. On each of the other laptops the fan would run, disk would start, etc. but no video. On this one I get nothing.

#4 SnowmansN1pples

SnowmansN1pples

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Same problem for the one I have here, nothing at all just flashing. Further research brought me to the video card. It could be something different with yours, I'll do some research on my end for you and get back to you with my results. Hopefully it can be fixed.

#5 MikeSCA

MikeSCA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Update on the problem: I changed the motherboard with a used motherboard. The system will start now and boot into safe mode but Win7 will not load. I attempted a clean install from CD of Win 7 but it still hangs on Windows start up, (does not get to the logon screen, the display just goes blank with some backlight activity)

Not sure what is going on.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

If your "CD" was an HP recovery disk...it should not be expected to work with a different motherboard.

Neither should the hard drive.

Each reflects settings/drivers for the replaced motherboard.

Louis

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

During install make sure you select custom install and delete all partitions before install. Make sure you use a good copy of Windows 7dvd, either the oem install disk for the computer (not the factory recovery disk, the disk should say operating system only) Or an image from Microsoft available from msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/(insert disk part number here).

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users