Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Default drive letter for "System" drive in Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Daleereus

Daleereus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hello everyone,

So, due to audio problems....I decided to just revert to my old XP64. At first I was gonna try to dual-boot, but the fly in the ointment was all I had was an image on my external HD, which has about 100G of other stuff on it. My disc drive would not for the life of me burn an ISO image on any of my three DVD types. And the process of trying to find how to fix the drive problem and/or create just a bootable PARTITION on a HD without effecting everything else just drove me insane...which is kind of where I am now. After a week now I just have to get back to my project. lol And if that means no fancy windows 7 internet experience......

BUT HERE'S THE THING. In my frenzied state, I think I may have screwed up my MBR, but idk. I hope I can explain this right.

At one point, while attempting a dual-boot scenerio workaround, I shrunk partition C and created a new 5G partition at the end of it. After that:

In EaseUS, I assigned it letter B and I set it to active, figuring it was to be bootable (wrong, I know). Additionally near the same time in Folder Properties, I unhid system files, folders...etc.

NOW the System drive showed as F! Then, attempting to use EasyBCD, it told me it could not find the BCD files to begin. So, naturally it had to do with that.I thought maybe it should have been B, but why would Ease US give me that letter option?

After showing Easy BCD the file it seems to be OK....there. Also in Startup & Recovery it is listed in System Startup as the default system. But is it OK?

Also, should it also be active. Did I inadvertently switch it by making the new partition active?

What should I do to get it to boot properly. I AM planning on booting XP from a flash drive anyway, but still......

If it is messed up, will the recovery option still work? BTW all partitions are now gone besides C: , system, and Hdd recovery.

Thanks a lot. Sorry so long..

Edited by Daleereus, 18 January 2013 - 02:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daleereus

Daleereus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

:wacko:no?

Edited by Daleereus, 18 January 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Any partition can be deemed "active" if it is capable of being booted into...that is, it reflects an O/S.

Any version of Windows which is on an "active" partition...should be able to be booted into. If not, then the problem lies with the boot files, which may be damaged.

Using EasyBCD is the easy way of overcoming such possibilities. It will detect any Windows installs, which then can be added to the boot menu and established in a multiboot.

When a user has a multiboot scenario...the only "active" Windows is the one which is booted into at any point in time. This volume will be reflected as C: by Windows. If a different volume is booted into, it subsequently becomes C:. The designation for C: changes with the volume booted into.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users