Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP Address Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hey Guys,
So my school has this problem with their network. When a WiFi device such as a computer connects to it, instead of assigning an IP address like 192.168.1.24, it will assign 192.168.0.24. This will prevent internet access because the network doesn't use this configuration. It will also assign duplicate IP address. The lease on the IP is 8 days. I have no idea what's going on. The router IP is also not right. Please help.

-Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett (ebthepcguy) | Helping People One Post At A Time | YouTube Twitter Facebook Email me | Forum Rules Homepage | My Profile

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

I would need the model number of the router to look up any specifi cofiguration settings. Are any of the pc's on the Ethernet experiencing p roblems? Have you tried setting a static ip address and dns on a wireless computer correctly ex:192.168.1.*** and seeing if you have access to your network And the internet
It appears your subnet mask is different in your dhcp server (your router). Your network 192.168.1.1 has a subnet mask of 255.255.265.0 if the router assigns 192.168.0.24 the subnet mask would be 255.255.0.0. If the subnetmask is not defined some routers have default settings (Cisco) that it will assume. If your subetmasks are the same on both networks then there is another configuration error.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 19 January 2013 - 02:14 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

192.168.0.0 is the start of the class C private addressing so the subnet mask could still be 255.255.255.0 My first though is just a simple configuration error. Almost sounds like they used a wireless router to extend the wired netork and someone forgot to turn off the the DHCP in the wireless router. Either that or they left it on the default password and someone is playing games. A router make and model would be helpful to know what we are dealing with.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

Right you are :thumbup2: remembering classfull ip addressing and subnets at 2am did not fair well :P

Edited by Sneakycyber, 19 January 2013 - 09:13 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Hello again,
I'm sorry, but as of now, I'm not sure what equipment my school is using. I'm a student there, but the school has me help them and manage parts of their network instead of a Tech-ED class mostly because what they are teaching is bare-minimum word processing skills which I fly far over for my age. But anyways, when I go back to school Tuesday, I will get every piece of hardware they use marked down.

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

Regards,
Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett (ebthepcguy) | Helping People One Post At A Time | YouTube Twitter Facebook Email me | Forum Rules Homepage | My Profile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users