Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't play streaming AAC files in Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cypod

Cypod

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

There doesn't seem to be any way to stream AAC files in WMP...

I've tried using the Orban plug-in, but it breaks MP4 video playback (I only get sound on MP4 videos after installing it). Although Winamp will work, I hate using it because it eventually commandeers all A/V file extensions. It also likes to phone home (I get firewall outbound alerts).

Is there another way?

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2013 - 04:30 PM.
Moved from XP to Audio & Video - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Any number of media players can be used by any user.

Generally...installing any player mimics the behavior of WMP when it comes to designating itself as the primary program to be used for opening all media files...but such only happens if the user allows it to do so with tacit approval.

In any case...programs which open a given file can be changed anytime by a user on an individual file type basis...by going to Explorer view of My Computer, then clicking Tools/Folder Options/File Types...and then scrolling the list to chqnge whatever program user desires to open a given file type.

I use WMP to open .mpgs, Real Player to open .flvs, Musicmatch to open .mp3s...and I have a few other players installed. Regardless of which player opens a file, they can play in just about any of the players I have installed.

Louis

You may want to try MediaMonkey and VLC.

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#3 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for responding...

The real problem seems to be the way my PC is handling the AAC file association. I currently have Real Player and Quick Time on my system, both of which are purported to play streaming AAC files. If I try make one of them the default player for AAC in My Explorer > File Types, it just doesn't work correctly. When I go to a streaming AAC file, the newly set default player will TRY to load - I see XP's loading window for the player flash by for a brief second - then WMP will open and display a "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while downloading the file" error.

BTW, I have tried VLC before ...while not as bad as Winamp, it likes to take over file associations on a PC as well. VLC also seems to have a nasty habit of crashing when you try to set file associations (Googling will confirm this). I'm a little reluctant to install MediaMonkey because I currently have to use WMP for playlists due to external MP3 player requirements.

Edited by Cypod, 18 January 2013 - 04:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users