Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Updating Drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lonogod

lonogod

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Hello everyone!

I am attempting to update my drivers because my computer has been crashing a lot lately and someone told me that updating my drivers might be a good place to start. So, I went to Start --> Control Panel --> System and Maintenance --> System --> Device Manager. Then I began updating the drivers one by one. Three of the drivers gave me the following message:

-----

Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Each driver in question was listed here

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.

-----

The three drivers it does this for are:

- Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
- Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
- Atheros AR5008X Wireless Network Adapter

I have no clue what I need to do next. I don't know if I'm just doing this the wrong way, or if my computer is just beyond hope.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OS - Windows Vista 32
Device - Toshiba Satellite P205D-S8804

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hello lonogod,

I don't recommend third party driver download software nor do I recommend Microsoft Updates for third party drivers. They may deliver drivers that are similar but aren't necessarily tested for compatibility with your particular hardware. That can lead to system instability and BSODs. This is particularly important with notebook computers where drivers need to work very closely with the installed hardware for energy saving modes.

The only place to obtain reliable, stable third party drivers for your hardware is from the computer manufacturer's or hardware manufacturer's website.
  • If your computer is an OEM product (Toshiba, Sony, Dell, HP, etc.), the best drivers for your specific model would be found on their website.
  • If your system is home built, then the best drivers will be found on the motherboard site (Gigabyte, Asus, etc) and the manufacturer's site of any add-on components (graphics - nVidia, ATI, etc).

I am attempting to update my drivers because my computer has been crashing a lot lately and someone told me that updating my drivers might be a good place to start.

If you are interested in persuing why your computer is "crashing", we would need to gather a little more information about the problem computer. It might prove helpful in pointing toward a solution.

1. ) Please follow this link: BSOD Posting Instructions Windows 8 - Windows 7 - Vista.
  • Follow all instructions with the exception of:
    • Create a new thread HERE and attach the file(s) after step 4
  • Note: Both files of Step 1 need to be in the Documents folder.
Next, Upload the zipped folder to a File Sharing website of your choosing because Bleeping Computer has a 512 K only upload limit and this file will be much larger.
2. ) To help us get a better look at your computer's hardware, please download and install Speccy by Piriform. (mirror site)
  • Run Speccy and from the top menu, select File --> Publish Snapshot. Click "Yes" to proceed.
  • Click, Copy to Clipboard and paste this address into your next post.
3. ) Please download MiniToolBox by farbar, save it to your Desktop, then run it.
  • Check the following checkbox:
    • List Installed Programs
  • Please click Go.
    • Post the result (Result.txt).
    • A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 lonogod

lonogod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'm sorry it took so long to reply. We actually reinstalled Windows before I checked here. Unfortunately, the computer is still crashing. So I did what you suggested.

Link to the zip file. https://www.box.com/s/3bl4hwty9oijnm4ys0xc

Speccy would never complete before the program itself crashed. I'm guessing that's an indicator of some kind.

I have attached the results from MiniToolBox.

Let me know what else you need me to do/try. Thank you for your help!

· OS - Vista/ Windows 7 ? Vista
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? 32
· What was original installed OS on system? Vista 32 - have not installed different OS
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? pre-installed
· Age of system (hardware) 6 years
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Just re-installed OS yesterday. Before that we had never re-installed it.

· CPU I don't know.
· Video Card I don't know.
· MotherBoard I don't know.
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (if laptop, skip this one) laptop - skipped

· System Manufacturer Toshiba
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) Satellite P205D-S8804

Attached Files

Edited by lonogod, 24 January 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hello lonogod,

With BSODs after a clean install, I would start by looking at hardware.

First priority:
Since a bad memory module can cause varied BSODs or computer freezing, you should start by testing memory. It is best to test memory outside the Windows operating system, so please follow this post: Windows 7 - RAM - Test with Memtest86+ to either create a bootable CD (Method 2) or bootable USB flash drive (Method 1) to run the test.
  • Once the computer is booted from the CD or USB flash drive, MemTest86+ will start automatically and continue until you stop it by pressing the ESC key.
  • My recommendation would be to start MemTest86+ a few hours before going to bed. Check the screen frequently for errors. If no errors initially, then let it run overnight; 12 hours rather than just 7 passes.
    • There should be NO errors reported.
    • The test can be stopped by pressing the ESC key as soon as an error is reported or after a suitable testing period without errors .
  • See Part 3: If you have errors.
    • Warning: If your computer is still under warranty, opening the case to remove memory for testing purposes, may VOID that warranty.
Please let us know the results.

BugCheck Code: Analysis of relevant findings for informational purposes.

Spoiler

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users