Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI Moneypak-can't get to desktop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kellyneedshelp

Kellyneedshelp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I have an HP running on Windows Vista and got the FBI Moneypak virus. Have found lots of help for it if you can get to your desktop but I can't get to mine - the screen demanding money is there even when starting in Safe Mode. Help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

I'll report this topic to appropriate helpers.
Hold on...

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Lets give it a try. You will need a USB Flash drive.

• Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flash drive into the infected PC.
  • If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account an click Next.

Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.
    To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
    • Insert the installation disc.
    • Restart your computer.
    • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
    Startup Repair
    System Restore
    Windows Complete PC Restore
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Command Prompt

Select Command Prompt

Once in the Command Prompt:
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
[/list]

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#4 Kellyneedshelp

Kellyneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Thanks so much! I was able to do a system restore back to yesterday which allowed me to get access to my desktop. I then ran Malwarebytes free version which found and eliminated a trojan virus. I have been back in business since. Is there anything else you suggest that I do or run?

#5 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,821 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Lets try Combofix.

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
  • Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  • Close any open browsers.
  • Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link or this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

• Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.

• Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Install the Recovery Console if prompted.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" .
**Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

Note: ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making it the default browser.
Note: Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CDs, floppies and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security.

Please do not install any new programs or update anything (always allow your antivirus/antispyware to update) unless told to do so while we are fixing your problem. If combofix alerts to a new version and offers to update, please let it. It is essential we always use the latest version.

ESET online scannner

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan.

Note: If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, open your browser by right-clicking on its icon and select 'Run as administrator' to perform this scan.

• First please Disable any Antivirus you have active, as shown in This topic.
  • Note: Don't forget to re-enable it after the scan.
  • Next hold down Control then click on the following link to open a new window to ESET online scannner.
  • Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on Start.

Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.

• All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.
  • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:

Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    Enable Anti-Stealth Technology

• Now click on Start.
  • The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!
  • Now click on Finish.
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#6 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,821 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users