Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator permission

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

I am the system administrator and I am logged into an administrator account. I would like to copy a file from one folder to another but I am getting the following message:

"You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this file"

Why does this happen and how do I resolve this?

Also, without the Start Button, how do I open a second Windows Explorer window?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

CLASSIC SHELL

I am the system administrator and I am logged into an administrator account. I would like to copy a file from one folder to another but I am getting the following message:

"You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this file"

Posted Image

Get Classic Shell Here

Become Administrator---

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by medab1, 19 January 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#3 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for this Classic Shell program. I solves my second problem but still does not give me the administrator permission I need.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Will get back to this...

Edited by dc3, 19 January 2013 - 02:41 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

I have the Pro version but I do not have the take ownership option there. My account is an administrator acccount but to make changes to the system in many programs they make me restart the program by right clicking on the program and selecting run as administrator.

#6 B5Anteros

B5Anteros

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:44 AM

I have a question for you because this has happened to me also. When you get this message do you get an option to  "continue?"

I click on "continue" and it does what I want it to do. Just asking. The only times I have had to take ownership of files is when I try to run music files from an extenal HDD which I ported over from ANOTHER Win 8 machine. It seems Win 8 automatically asigns DRM to those files you DL using Win 8. Then it's a long and complicated process which ticks me off.

Also, if you already have an Explorer window open you can just click on "file" then "open new window" to get another Explorer window open. Or just use Classic Shell. :wink:

HP Envy 1417c = Intel i7 3770 at 3.4 GHz = 12 GB RAM = Pegatron 2AD5 Motherboard = 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 Disk Device = Several External HD's = 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 = Windows 8 64 bit = Mozilla Firefox = Avast Free = Windows Defender.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

I found an easy way to take ownership of folders and it actually gave me that "Take Ownership" option in the context menu when I click on a folder. It works on most folders, seems like there were a couple it wouldn't, but for the most part, it works great

It involves running a registry modification program so I hope it is ok that I post a link to it, if not, I won't be offended if a mod removes this.

It is called Add Take Ownership.reg and can be found at.....

www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2814-take-ownership-add-context-menu-windows-8-a.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users