Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound or Internet connection, and extra drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hapless Henry

Hapless Henry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

Thanks in advance to all advice offered, I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me out!

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1 on my Dell XPS L502X, with the following specifications:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.40 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System

This morning when I started up my laptop I encountered a few unfortunate symptoms. First, I discovered that I no longer had sound. There is no volume control on the toolbar, and when trying to open "Sound" from the control panel, I get the message "This computer cannot play audio because the Windows Audio Service is not enabled. Would you like to enable the Windows Audio Service?" After selecting yes nothing happens, and re opening "Sound" produces the same error message. When I try to "Adjust system volume" from Control Panel, the volume mixer window opens displaying nothing except the text "No audio device is installed".

As for the Internet I can connect to my home WiFi network but only get "limited access", and troubleshooting gives no explanation as to why.

As well as these two problems, I also now have two disk drives which I didn't before, named (E:) and (G:).

The reason I suspect these symptoms may be being caused by a virus is that yesterday before I shut down my computer, I was reading a news article online (www.joe.ie) and McAfee alerted me that it had detected, stopped and removed and Trojan and that no further action was required. After receiving this message I left the web page but the message still reappeared two or three times. I tried to find the error report in McAfee but couldn't find the exact report/Trojan name. Immediately prior to receiving the message from McAfee, I was alerted that I needed to update Java.
On top of that I also have a large amount of processes running, despite having no applications running. Namely 10 instances of "svchost.exe" running. I'm not sure if that is relevant/unusual.

Thanks again for taking the time to read through the issues I'm having here, and any helpful advice is welcomed! If I have left out any important information, please don't hesitate to ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hapless Henry

Hapless Henry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

I also downloaded Safari from the softonic website yesterday, but received no virus alerts or anything unusual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users