Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus attack excel files encrypted

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Baz the Waz

Baz the Waz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

dear all

I have been attacked by a virus where all my excel, word, music files have been encrypted. My restore also sates that it has been unable to complete. When I first turned my computer on I received a message saying all my files were encrypted and sent to the police and that I would have to send 100 to get them unencrypted. I am not very computer literate so if there is a fix I would need to have clear simple detailed steps. I hope you can help as I desperately need a couple of my Excel files.

Thank you in advance

Baz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Hi

I have notified helpers about this. Someone will be with you soon.

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

#3 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Hello and welcome to BleepingComputer! :welcome:

My name is Thisisu and I will be helping you with your malware related computer problems.

I do have some basic rules while we are working together so please read and follow them:

• Be specific!
    • If you come across a problem while performing any of the steps listed here, do not simply state "It did not work." Tell me the exact error you encountered if one was given to you. For example, this is a much better response: "When I ran the ____ tool, an error box appeared on my screen and said 'Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion.'. There is only an 'OK' button in the box."
  • Do not run any scans/fixes on your own!
    • If at any time you feel that you can handle the rest of your computer problems on your own without my help, just let me know! I will not be offended as there are others that need help with their computers. However, do not perform scans and/or fixes that I have not asked you to do on your own and then expect me to continue helping you because I will not!
  • I will close the topic if I have not heard a response from you within 72 hours.
    • If you are going to be away, just let me know and I will leave the topic open until you can return.

Let's begin:

Please perform the following scan:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

__

Can you upload 2 or 3 of the encrypted files here for analysis please? Thank you.

#4 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

To whomever sent me the Sales-Concept---January-2014.xlsx file. I was told by security expert and developer Fabian Wosar that the file is encrypted by CryptoLocker malware.

Have a read at the following link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptolocker-ransomware-information

Sorry to say it but chances are slim on getting the file decrypted.

In the future, please create a new topic for assistance on any malware related / decrypting issue.

Thank you. Locking this thread now as it is an old one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users