Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easy Ftp Server Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shiday

shiday

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:13 PM

i have recently had my isp configure a static ip address for me. I decide to set up a ftp server and it works fine except for one crucial problem. There is no password..... when a user goes to the ftp server it automatically shows the contents of the server. I want there to be a username and password box. I have searched and searched in the management section of windows for an area to input a password but cant find it.

Please help me..... I will greatly appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:44 AM

Official MS statement:

"Windows XP Home Edition does not include or support any versions (1.0, 2.0, 4.0) of Microsoft Personal Web Server (PWS). Users that need Web server functionality in a desktop operating system should use Windows XP Professional."

That said, does this help?

#3 shiday

shiday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:27 PM

Herk

i am currently using windows xp os.

I am able to access the server from a remote location, however, it automatically logs into the server.....

I need to figure out how to apply a username and password to the ftp server to prevent access from unautorized users

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:17 PM

Well, if I'm understanding both you and Microsoft correctly, XP Home (not XP Pro) is not set up to be used as a server this way. So to get the software to set up specific permissions and so forth is a real challenge, if it's possible at all.

#5 shiday

shiday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:36 PM

What are you talking about????

Who even said a thing about Microsoft home?????

Anyone else here know of a solution......

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

What are you talking about????

That does not strike me as a very nice thing to say to someone who is volunteering to help you

Who even said a thing about Microsoft home?????

I can see where XP Home is discussed just a few posts above. Did you read it?

i am currently using windows xp os.

That makes sense as you have posted in a Windows XP forum. But you don't indicate if you are using Home or Professional version. They are different.

Anyone else here know of a solution......

I do.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 shiday

shiday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

hey albert,

maybe if you were as smart as you would like your name to indicate, you would realize that the person who made reference to xp home was herc....

maybe you should mind your own business when you butt in here to put what you feel would be a brilliant response in attempt to diss me.....

and if you can help..... maybe you should....

thats all for now

Edited by shiday, 29 March 2006 - 09:22 PM.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:23 AM

Like Herk said:

Users that need Web server functionality in a desktop operating system should use Windows XP Professional

Are you using Windows XP Home Version or Professional Version?

If you are using Professional Version it would be easier to just read the guide found HERE, rather than me explaining it in a thread like this. Page 4 of that guide has instructions on how to set it up securely, requiring a username and a password.

If you are using Home Version, then you need third party software for this functionality.

Google 'xp as a ftp server' and get lots more info.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users