Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After a fresh Windows 7 install, the Rundll32 file still displays a "page icon"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 phoreoneone

phoreoneone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Hello folks,

Just like the title says, I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 7. I had lost my recovery discs, so I downloaded the official .iso image from, http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-64-bit-x64-direct-download-links/ I downloaded Ultimate because my university gives it's students Windows 7 Ultimate license keys. So I figured why not! So after I create a Boot USB, I install the OS. Everything goes smoothly, until I open up C:\Windows\system32\ and I see that "Rundll32" still shows a page icon.

I checked all my desktops and they all have the same image for Rundll32!

At this point I am panicking because I don't know if all my computers are infected by malware or if something else is at fault.

My Rundll32 file is sitting at 44.5 KB.

At this moment, I am installing BitDefender, TDSSKiller, Malwarebytes, and completing Windows Updates(Obviously, I am not typing this on the infected machine). I will update this post if the programs find anything.

Edit: I think I posted this in the wrong thread. I will post this in "Windows 7" instead.

Edit: I think this is the right sub-forum.

Edited by phoreoneone, 17 January 2013 - 10:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hello, We need a deeper look. Plaese repost this with the logs from the guide below.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.

Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users