Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Case Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 luciusad2004

luciusad2004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:46 PM

Im looking forward to building a computer this summer after i get a job and was wondering what a good price range is for a case, so that i kno im not going to get garbage. Ill probably be looking for a mid tower atx, with a side window. I dont think i want to go over one-hundred though.

Another question i had. This will be the first computer i build and if i get it all up and running I was thinking of trying to overclock it. Would i be better off starting with a cheaper cpu and motherboard for my first try at this? That way if i do mess something up im not out of top of the line or extremely expensive equipment?

As always, Thanks for the help.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

I would start with some cheap used computers to overclock to learn what not to do. (depending on your computer hardware skill levels now).

Overclocking has risks, and if you can't afford to replace processors, motherboards, memory, etc - don't do it.
If you can afford it, it's a fun hobby.

But if you are reasonably computer literate and can follow directions, you should be able to build a computer to meet your needs (and pocketbook).

As far as the case - price is dependent on quality of build - finish - and how easy it is to fit and attach ATX motherboards
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/atx.htm
in it without needing modifications. Well finished, precise fit for motherboards and no sharp edges costs more.

$100 is a reasonably good figure though, but buy a good seperate, rated power supply.

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 March 2006 - 09:26 PM.

#3 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for all the help. I already have a 480 watt power supply that i had purchased just b4 my old pc decided to die on me. I figure that gives me more to spend on a case since i wont have to worry about finding another power supply. Thanks again.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:38 PM

You might want to consider a full-sized tower, since it is much easier to work in than a mini-tower, and can hold more "stuff" and, for example, fans. Avoid the side window if you have to make a price decision and opt for a really durable case.
Antec is a good manufacturer and has many different models.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:44 PM

Thanks for the input. Ill look in to a full tower. My main worry with a full tower is that it would be to expensive. I also have to consider were i am going to put a full tower, not that size is a real factor, I WOULD find a place to put it or else make space. Ill have to see what happens, and were i end up moveing to; if i do in fact move in the summer. I also wont be buying one untill i get a job in teh summer so i do have some time to think on it. Ill look in to it. Thanks again for the response.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:04 PM

Here are some:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...c:1510|&Recs=30

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:09 PM

I payed 159 for mine and thought it was a good investment. That was without a PSU.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users